Toccata Marziale Volume Question

The bulk of the musical talk
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Toccata Marziale Volume Question

Post by MartyNeilan »

The beginning is marked F and, on the lower octave, is in the basement. I approached this in a somewhat smilar manner to The Ride last year at a placement audition, and was chastised for playing it much too loud. I was told that the sixteenths, especially, should not be played loudly. After 1 or 2 replays, the volume that was desired was what I would consider to be between MP and MF.

In the event I have to play it at another audition, I was curious as to what the general consensous was on this piece. I also don't want to walk in and play MP only to be immediately cut for suppossedly not having a strong low register. You only get one chance to make a first impression.
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

listen to several recordings. this tune should not be played too heavy. most play it too heavy, too slow, and too thick. the volume marking is for the overall band and this part is scored pretty thick to begin with. the lower octave can also get muddy if you try to play it like a bad caracture of the Ride of the Valkyries.

play along with a good recording and you will realize that it scoots right along, but in a stately tempo. also important in this excerpt is the ink. different articulations, dynamics, and note lengths offer chances to show contrast. lastly this tune requires metric accuracy. a rock solid consistant tempo from start to finish makes a world of difference here.

in an audition you are a soloist. in a band you are a part of a greater ensemble.
sean chisham