Frank Lynn Payne sonata

The bulk of the musical talk
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Frank Lynn Payne sonata

Post by Adam C. »

Is the Payne sonata similar to his tuba quartet in overall style and harmonic language?

The quartet is a solid piece- one of my favorites.
Mark N.
pro musician
pro musician

Payne

Post by Mark N. »

Yes and no....the first movement is a tour de force that could be considered like the 3rd movement of the quartet in aggressiveness. It has a lot of play against and with the piano. This creates lots of energy. It jumps around a bit range wise also keeping the listener alert. It also has one of the harder licks I've had to play in the middle of the first page.

The second movement is somewhat mysterious and shows the dymnamic variance the tuba can produce from very full and bombastic to very transparent. It is a bit comparable to the second movement of the quartet, but more melodic.

The third movement is quite quick and light...also short with the melody juxtaposed towards the end. This movement is really not like anything in the quartet...but very fun to play.

The last movement may be considered the weakest movement musically, but it does have some interesting moments and sort of combines the styles of the first three to conclude the piece.

Total, it lasts a little over 8 mins and it really is a great recital piece. I will be doing it in April, if you would like a recording (though I can only hope to do the piece justice) please let me know.

Mark
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

Thanks for the great info, Mark. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

I'd love to hear a recording of it sometime- please send me a private message for an address if you decide to share it.
Mark N.
pro musician
pro musician

Payne

Post by Mark N. »

No problem....I'll get a recording to you after the recital on April 21.

Mark
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

My Robert King shipment arrived in less than 24 hours, and I see that nasty lick on page 1...

I'm looking forward to playing it with the piano; the solo part doesn't sound very "tuneful" in and of itself.