Anyone played a Cerveny 641 4 rotary EEb?

The bulk of the musical talk
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

cerv E flat

Post by bigboymusic »

I played one of these for a few years. It is a good E flat to learn on, and for what you want, just make sure you get to choose from a couple. Some are good and some, well, need help. I have a couple other students start their solo career on these horns. They seem to do well, esp with the cheap price.
docpugh
bugler
bugler

Post by docpugh »

I remember the discussions on Cervenys in general on the old BBS. By and large, you either love them or hate them. I played on a Cerveny CC in college and loved it. Sure, it's not the "Porsche" of tubas, but for my buck they're nice horns. My advice, try them (a couple like the other poster stated) and if you like the sound you're getting, then Cerveny may be the horn for you.
==============================
Ivan Darrell Pugh, Jr., DO
http://docpugh.mav.net
docpugh@yahoo.com
==============================
Steve Inman
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Steve Inman »

Run away! It's a small-sounding Eb, just like a small rotary F (but in Eb). The one I played was very weak with the low BBb note (just like F tubas often have quirky low CCs). I would only buy this tuba for a meduim and upper register solo horn.
Steve Inman
Yamaha YEB-381 Eb
Conn 56J CC
Willson-Marzan CC Solo Model
Kokomo Chamber Brass
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Anyone played a Cerveny 641 4 rotary EEb?

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve C
lurker
lurker

Post by Steve C »

I think the suggestion on a Yamaha 321 Effer is a great one.
But, if you want to stick with the more 'German' style horn, might I suggest looking out for an older Miraphone 183-4. These horns are slightly larger than the Cerveny, and it seems to have a more powerful sound. Using a Bach 24AW, the low end also seems to be much more managable than the Cerveny, although it still requires that certain finess that a rotary bass needs.

Steve C