B.E.R.P.

The bulk of the musical talk
Gorilla Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Gorilla Tuba »

I have one of the plasitic ones. I use it in almost every day. I find it works well for me because the resistance can be set to feel just like my horn. I would buzz less often without it.
A. Douglas Whitten
Associate Director of Bands
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
Pittsburg State University
Carroll
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Carroll »

I actually use mine for a purpose for which it was not intended (no surprise for anyone who knows me). I use mine for technique practice. When I know a piece aurally well enough, I find that I can get the rights notes, even with the wrong fingers down. When I seperate the sound (buzzing in this case) from the fingers, I force myself to actually put the right valves down at the right time. By the time I have worked out the patterns using the B.E.R.P., I know the lick and my sound has opened up as well. This approach has helped some, but not all, of my students. I suppose any technique will have similarly mixed results. I do not, however, leave the device on my leadpipe for performances. Some folks do.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

I have one and find it invaluable.

The ability to buzz a passage while holding and fingering the instrument really helps reinforce the ear training benefits of buzzing.

To me, the whole point of playing is to be able to buzz the proper pitch into the mouthpiece, and then let the instrument resonate it. Too often, however, we rely on the instrument as a cruch, allowing the valve changes to help change the pitch.

Also, since the BERP attaches to the leadpipe, one can go back and forth quickly between buzzing and playing the passage being studied. This is a GREAT and very efficient way to practice.

I heartily encourage anyone interested in improving as a player to get a BERP and use it daily!
Andy