Saints-Saens symphony #3

The bulk of the musical talk
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

I did the Organ Symphony this past season.

I played it on a 4/4 CC, but if I would have had a good F tuba (ie, nice low register), I would have done it that way. It works fine on a smaller CC, but I think the sound of an F on some of the stuff with the trombones would have been awesome.

It's a fun part to play. There is a lot of counting (what's new) until near the end of the piece. No major solos or anything of that nature, but worth playing if you have an opportunity.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

I used a 'fone 188 CC when I played this piece. I also had an F with a really good low register at the time.

I chose the CC because it sounded better on the two low licks with the organ and bass trombone. Also, because it was a good horn with lots of color, it easily blended in the upper register on the other passages.

I would vote for a good 4/4 or even 3/4 contrabass before I used the F. Only because of the two low licks and the fact that an F tuba (normally) loses some presence down there. I also had to play this in a huge church with a LOUD organ. That also affected my decision.

The finished product was pretty darn good and I was glad of the choice I had made.

Your mileage may vary....
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165