Doug Elliott pieces?

The bulk of the musical talk
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

I too heard that...

I've got two Doug Elliott setups right now.

I'm actually still waiting (have been for about a year) for what I guess is now the "old" version of his tuba mouthpiece.

Due to the time frame, the best way to get Doug Elliott stuff is to buy used.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Mudman
3 valves
3 valves

new designs

Post by Mudman »

I have been playing Doug's mouthpieces off and on since the late 80's. For the past three years I have been playing a bass trombone setup which consisted of a 116 rim, M cup, M9 shank.

At the International Trombone Festival I tried out several of Doug's newer mouthpieces in a variety of combinations. I ended up buying a 116 MW rim, M cup, M8 shank.

Two things that stand out about the newer setup:
1. It is easier to focus the sound at soft dynamics
2. There is more core/tone/resonance to the sound, less fuzz/air/hiss

The main reason I started looking to modify my setup was that my sound was great at the loudest dynamics, but got diffuse when playing p or softer. The normal rim (similar in width to a schilke 60) was also leaving a dent in one spot on my top lip, making me search for a wider rim.

I spent at least 30 minutes trying various combinations and was really surprised to find such a big difference in sound between two mouthpieces that had the same letter designation. The ultimate test came during a chamber music rehearsal held at the festival. (When I decided the mouthpiece was a keeper.) ppp to fff felt great. I was comfortable using the mouthpiece in a performance the following day with no adjustment time.

If Doug attends the Tuba Workshop at Ft Myer, that would be the place to try and buy. He brought hundreds of pieces to the Trombone Festival.

It can be hard to produce both a high-quality product and have McDonald's-like turnaround times. If you are looking for a good mouthpiece, it is worth the wait and friendly persistance.