JUILLIARD

The bulk of the musical talk
Aaron
bugler
bugler

Post by Aaron »

Usually you might play a solo, a couple of etudes, and have some excerpts to play. If there is even an audition next march depends on if there is a spot open or not. Usually there were 3 or 4 tuba players there.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

David Fedderly of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra has been teaching at Juilliard since Warren Deck left the area.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Dave Fedderly is a great guy, player and teacher.
My HHR Forum
http://www.ChevyHHRFamily.net" target="_blank" target="_blank
My Car site
http://cjsmodsandmore.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
Dave Y
bugler
bugler

Post by Dave Y »

Does anybody know if Alan Baer will be involved at Julliard within the next couple of years?
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

For the original poster:

The best way to get accurate information on how Juilliard works, who's teaching, etc., is to contact Juilliard and ask.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
RyanSchultz
pro musician
pro musician

Post by RyanSchultz »

I spent a fair amount of time with John Rojak in Aspen and with several of Warren's former students. Here is what I've heard:

The audition is generally in March. Present are: Joe Alessi, Per Brevig, Mike Powell, Don Harwood, John Rojak, and whoever is teaching tuba.

They are very disinclined to accept DMA candidates unless they feel the person will survive the "library stuff" and (more importantly) has something to teach the faculty (Per is only the one with a Doctorate).

John Rojak told me that many auditionees try to play works which end up, in the heat of the nerve racking audition, being too difficult. This tells the committee nothing except that the auditionee didn't play well. I've also been told by Juilliard alums that this is not the approach one wants to adopt. Go figure. . .

Practice your butt off and see what happens. Good luck.
__
Pacific Northwest Ballet Orchestra and Auburn Symphony Orchestra

University of Puget Sound
https://www.pugetsound.edu/faculty-pages/rschultz/" target="_blank

http://www.RyanSchultzMusic.com" target="_blank
http://www.facebook.com/Ryan-Schultz-373732966126361" target="_blank
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

I auditioned twice there as a Masters Degree candidate in the early 80s, and did not get accepted either time. However, I am told that expectations are higher for graduate degree students than for undergraduates. However, the studio is small, and acceptance is limited, based on whether there are any openings, not just on whether one is qualified.

I know that Dave Kirk was an undergrad student the second time I auditioned. Only one undergrad student was accepted both years I auditioned. The second year, they took some guy named Matt Good, who has had a pretty decent pro career in Jacksonville and Dallas. Oh yeah, that Kirk guy has a pretty good job, too.

That may give you some idea of the standards that are expected of the students thy accept. You really need to demonstrate that you are at a near professional playing level. This is a place to refine your playing and get the experience needed to land a gig, not necessarily to learn how to play, or develop your potential.
Andy
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

*Hint*

If you live out of state, you'll be floating a lot of loans at IU also.

While I respect all the various studios, Julliard places a lot of players.

Julliard has a very low acceptance rate. Mainly due to the fact that all acceptees will have an orchestra, quintet and excerpt class to play in.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Post by funkcicle »

mandrake wrote: I live in Canada [...]
You'll like this site!

http://jobcanada.com/college/

Lots of good teachers in Canada for not a lot of money. Ellis Wean, Dennis Miller, John Griffiths, Michael Eastep, Gene Dowling to throw out a few names. Expect to pay about 1000% more for your education if you venture south of the border.
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

mandrake wrote:You may laugh at me, but what about the University of Toronto?
:lol:
mandrake wrote:...From what I have heard, this is the best school in Canada...
No way. You should check (or re-check) your sources that you have "heard from."
mandrake wrote:...they also only have four tubaists and my teachers say that I will absolutely get in. This worries me a bit because it makes the U of T sound like a less-than-top-notch school...
"t makes the U of T sound like a less-than-top-notch school..."
You have answered your own doubts with this statement.

Go south, if you can get into Mr Perantoni's studio, DO IT!

Ask around and find out (if one can be found) the names of the recent great U of T tuba students who have scored major jobs (either playing or university teaching). Compare that with the success rate of Mr Perantoni and his students over the past 30 years. With whom do you foresee better chances of a successful career.

(Plus, there are other wonderful teachers out there with great placement records. Simply put, and with all due repsect, U of T is not one of them.)
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

mandrake wrote:On top of THAT, I want to be sure to study composition.
One other thing I neglected to add in my post above.

To study composition, and study tuba, and -- if you must remain in Canada -- then you should go to Montreal. Any other option is a far distant second.

Dr John Rea is one of the foremost composition teachers on the planet -- fantastic. Not just a world-class composer, but world-class composition teacher. (A very important consideration.) Plus, you could study with either/both of two extremely fine tuba teachers in Montreal: Dennis Miller and Alain Cazes.