Leather Wrapping around the horn

The bulk of the musical talk
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Custom Music sells them to fit the PT model tubas that they sell.

They aren't too hard to make either. Don't use leather though...it has the potential to damage your finish.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinYoung
pro musician
pro musician

Post by KevinYoung »

I've seen some horns with handle wrap for tennis/racquetball racquets. But then I've also seen some with just some sort of black cloth. The black cloth, IMHO, would be the best way to go.

KY
red0radio0head
bugler
bugler

Post by red0radio0head »

Instead of using just normal leather, you have to use a kind of treated leather...can't remember what it's treated with, sorry...I've had some of these made for my horn a while back. A guy in our studio makes them for euphs for like 10 bucks. You just have to have them treated to where it won't eat away at the silver finish. I'm not sure what it would do to lacquer.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Leather Wrapping around the horn

Post by Dan Schultz »

tonytuba02 wrote:I am interested in wrapping parts of my horn in leather, ....
One of the euphonium players I associate with likes to wrap parts of his horns with cord. He buys the cord at craft stores. The treatment looks like what I've seen on some older European horns. No patterns... no muss... no fuss. Just wrap it on.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

cc_tuba_guy wrote:
Damage to lacquer (spelling??) or silver?

Also, what should one use instead of leather?
The chemicals used to "tan" leather can eat away at silver plate and raw brass. It is best to use something like naugahide (ie, fake leather).

I have no idea what it does to lacquer.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

line the leather

Post by Paul S »

Tom wrote:
The chemicals used to "tan" leather can eat away at silver plate and raw brass. It is best to use something like naugahide (ie, fake leather).

I have no idea what it does to lacquer.
Leather will last far longer than other materials out there as well as feel and smell better with an added touch of class. The secret is to line the inside of the leather cover with a soft velvet or felt that wraps around the edges.

This is what is done on the the professional quality leather valve guards you see on high end trumpets/cornets and on the leather hand holds on expensive French horns.
Paul Sidey, CCM '84
Principal Tubist, Grand Lake Symphony
B&S PT-606 CC - Yamaha YFB-621 F
SSH Mouthpieces http://sshmouthpieces.com/" target="_blank
Doug@GT
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Doug@GT »

Would electrical tape work?
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged."
~G.K. Chesterton
Doug@GT
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Doug@GT »

Yeah but it wouldn't last as long as duct tape would, Spiro.

I only use that on my tax records.

So it wouldn't hurt a silver finish?
~G.K. Chesterton
Doug@GT
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Doug@GT »

Aight, thanks Wayne.
~G.K. Chesterton
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

schlepporello wrote:
TubaTinker wrote:One of the euphonium players I associate with likes to wrap parts of his horns with cord. He buys the cord at craft stores. The treatment looks like what I've seen on some older European horns. No patterns... no muss... no fuss. Just wrap it on.
Would wrapping parts of a tuba with cord have an affect on the sound?
I would think that wrapping ANYTHING around a horn would have some affect on the timbre.... just as heavy lacquer does as opposed to raw brass.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Paul S »

TubaTinker wrote: I would think that wrapping ANYTHING around a horn would have some affect on the timbre.... just as heavy lacquer does as opposed to raw brass.
Maybe I am missing something but I have always wondered if having your your arm wrapped around the horn, your hand gripped on a slide or your thighs supporting the bow would affect the timbre far more than a protective wrap or lacquer...
Paul Sidey, CCM '84
Principal Tubist, Grand Lake Symphony
B&S PT-606 CC - Yamaha YFB-621 F
SSH Mouthpieces http://sshmouthpieces.com/" target="_blank
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Paul S wrote:
TubaTinker wrote: I would think that wrapping ANYTHING around a horn would have some affect on the timbre.... just as heavy lacquer does as opposed to raw brass.
Maybe I am missing something but I have always wondered if having your your arm wrapped around the horn, your hand gripped on a slide or your thighs supporting the bow would affect the timbre far more than a protective wrap or lacquer...
You are correct. However.... some things, like holding the horn, must be accepted as 'normal'. In my opinion, those things as are considered necessary or normal are considered as characteristic to the horn. Adding protective pads, half covers, heavy valve caps, extra braces, etc. are another argument. Even if you had two identical horns.... one wrapped and one not.... or one lacquered and one raw... there are still enough variances in the horns themselves to make a difference (with or without the wrap or lacquer). Soooo... this is one of those things that can be argued forever with no concise answer other than 'yes it can make a difference'.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"