Wal-Mart Music Downloads

The bulk of the musical talk
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

TubaNewsRose wrote:Sorry, I went off on a tangent - I have plenty of issues with Walmart, but I'm surprised that they've jumped on that bandwagon. They seem to be all about informaiton sensorship, and distributing music over the internet seems against their ideals. My 2 cents.
I think it much more likely that Wal-Mart's primary motivation is making money. Like any good business if they see an opportunity they will exploit it. At the end of the day that is what has made Wal-Mart such a force to be reckoned with.
MileMarkerZero
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MileMarkerZero »

Not only profit motivation; can you imagine the bandwidth taken up by half a dozen people all downloading Mahler 5 at the same time?
SD

I am convinced that 90% of the problems with rhythm, tone, intonation, articulation, technique, and overall prowess on the horn are related to air issues.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

MileMarkerZero wrote:Not only profit motivation; can you imagine the bandwidth taken up by half a dozen people all downloading Mahler 5 at the same time?
:D

It probably won't matter much, since they'll be choosing from a couple dozen recordings anyway.

;)

Wal-Mart is in such a business of making money that they don't care enough about their workers to give them proper benefits. Full-time hours with part-time benefits? Riiiight. That's just a start, too.

As far as having a narrower selection than the iTunes music store, it's still new, so it doesn't really matter yet. For example, iTunes didn't have a huge jazz catalog until they signed Verve's entire collection (including Ray Draper's group).

Of course, it could be a big deal later on if Wal-Mart doesn't build as large of a library, or if it censors & bans music just like it does in its retail outlets.
smurphius
3 valves
3 valves

excuse me

Post by smurphius »

in all actuality, wal-mart's benefits are very good for the retail field. their part-timers benefits are far better than many companies FULL-time benefits. there is the potential to make a lot of money with wal-mart. i go to school full time as a tuba player, but wal-mart is what pays my bills. i definately don't want to see anyone dissing my company. i can agree that maybe it has gotten a little too big for its britches, figuratively speaking, but wal-mart definately has great benefits.

i'm done now. thanks.
docpugh
bugler
bugler

Post by docpugh »

Wal-Mart: coming to a neighborhood near you. Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.
==============================
Ivan Darrell Pugh, Jr., DO
http://docpugh.mav.net
docpugh@yahoo.com
==============================
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Post by funkcicle »

I would strongly encourage anyone who cares about quality, integrity, or this country in general to do their best to NOT support Wal Mart. It's a really sad state of affairs what Wal Mart is doing to this country, and I don't anticipate a sudden turnaround anytime soon. :(
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

When a Wal-Mart stocking worker with a broken leg at 3 AM has to wait for an hour while a senior manager comes from home to unlock the doors so that the rescue squad can come inside to help, then yeah, something's not right.

The rest of the employees didn't have authorization to unlock the doors themselves, and were effectively locked inside the store for the duration of their shift. That much was routine for this Wal-Mart.

I'm just assuming that it rarely, if ever, happened before, and that it won't happen again. I can't imagine why it went that far.