Greatest tuba ever made???

The bulk of the musical talk
Lars Trawen
bugler
bugler
Location: Former the cold Sweden, now enjoying the sun in Portugal

Post by Lars Trawen »

All comments so far give me the impression it's the player 90% and the horn 10%.
A good player could sound fantastic on almost every horn. But a mediocre player sounds mediocre also on the best horns.
However all players want to own the best equipment.
That's my conviction,
Lars
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Given the general tenor of the replies, the best tuba ever made hasn't been made yet. In the 70's it was a Mirafone, in 80's it was a Hirsbrunner, In the 90's until present day, it was what-ever-looked-looked-like-quaked-like-and-walked-like-a-York. Bottom line is, it hasn't only not been made, if it was, it would probably only be in vogue until the next best thing came along. I haven't seen this remark made, so I will make it: It's not the horn. This question reminds me of threads of who the greatest tuba player ever was.

Chuck"Remember, the definition of an expert is anyone who is not where you are from"Jackson
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

The best tuba for what? If orchestra, what kind of orchestra and what kind of sound characterizes it. For example, there are probably still a fair number of old-school Vienna F tuba players who think that anything else is garbage. 80 years ago, the same might have been said for a little French C tuba.

When the big Yorks were in their prime (1900-1920), I think it would have been considered outside of the limits of good taste for an orchestra tubist to be using one.

While there are some real sheet-metal stinkers out there, I think that your question isn't answerable.
Teubonium
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Teubonium »

cktuba wrote:I wouldn't necessarily want to play in a modern orchestra with one of these but... a really good 60's vintage Miraphone 186.
Why is a 186 from the 60's better than a 186 made in the 90's? :?
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

The answer Dale is looking for is easy: Mine. My tuba is the greatest tuba in the world. All others are pretenders. Just ask me.

Joking aside, when you can define "best", then we stand a chance of evaluating instruments against that definition. I'll bet you can't define it. And if you could, we'd still argue to the ends of the Earth on the evaluation method.

Rick "grateful there is no 'best' tuba" Denney
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

cktuba wrote:
Teubonium wrote:Why is a 186 from the 60's better than a 186 made in the 90's? :?
Depends on the ear of the beholder but... they changed the bell size and flair ( from 16.5" to 17.75" ) and they are now using thicker metal. These changes have affected the sound and response a bit.
My mid-70's 186 has the thinner metal and the narrower bell, but it is not as highly esteemed as the 60's models. The wider bell came much later than the so-called golden era.

My suspicion is that there was more expert tweaking of the 60's factory output and less as the instruments became more popular and were being bought in greater quantities during the 70's.

Rick "whose 186 is a good tuba but not the best 186 he's every played" Denney
Mark E. Chachich
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

Given that different tubas are better adapted for different types of music, national styles, etc... and that this question will elicit an opinion.

My personal "gold standard" for tubas is the Alexander 163.

The reasons are the sound and response of the tuba.

Mark
Mark E. Chachich, Ph.D.
Principal Tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Life Member, Musicians' Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, A.F.M., Local 40-543
Life Member, ITEA
Doug@GT
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Doug@GT »

What I would like to know is, what are some of the greatest tubas in history, and why?
The St. Petersburg 201N, of course.

Seriously, have you ever seen a horn better marketed towards more people?

Sure, everyone wants a Hirsbrunner, but everyone can afford a St. Pete.

But in the end, I agree with Rick. His tubas are the greatest in history, and that's because he said so.

-Doug "never argue with the resident genius" G
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged."
~G.K. Chesterton
Doug@GT
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Doug@GT »

other: criticize that / talk to lawyer

:?:
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged."
~G.K. Chesterton
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Best Tuba?

Post by Matt Walters »

1) An old 3 valve top action BBb King owned Tom Raisback. Still the best BBb. A really tweaked up King 2341 will play like that.

2) My York CC. Anyone interested in seeing it, can go to our website, www.dillonmusic.com and click on Friends, then Don Butterfield. That's my York CC tuba he is playing. I have to pinch myself about that one.

3) The one horn that I've created in my mind. It can fill the one niche that no manufacturer has paid attention to. Wish I had the the means to make it myself. Nobody even makes the valve section I want. Oh well.

Matt
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Re: Best Tuba?

Post by UDELBR »

Matt Walters wrote:3) The one horn that I've created in my mind. It can fill the one niche that no manufacturer has paid attention to. Wish I had the the means to make it myself. Nobody even makes the valve section I want. Oh well.
I'd bet folding money that there'd be quite a few people interested in a Walters line of tubas, built *exactly* to your specs.

Go ahead, Matt! :D