YEB-382

The bulk of the musical talk
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Sam Gnagey »

I have one in lacquered brass. It's a very nice playing Eb, a YEB-321 with a dependent 5th valve. This is the model that Pat Sheridan used before switching to Besson. I tried the Besson route too but went back to the Yamaha. Just a personal preference.
Steve Inman
4 valves
4 valves

re: YEB-382

Post by Steve Inman »

I've got a silver plated one, and I've heard Sam play his -- he gets a great sound on it. This horn has a more focused sound than the Besson 983 (which I used to own), as the Yamaha has a 15" bell. But the 382 sounds every bit as big, probably owing to the darker, more defined core to the sound. It's a little harder to manipulate valve slides with the 321/382 (and the 983 has that cool, extra 4th valve slide on the top side for very effective low register intonation adjustments). I think the 382 is a VERY cost effective Eb, and with the dependent 5th valve you can play everything except the low E natural well in tune. I'm actually thinking of having a 5th valve extension added to mine to give me the flat whole step option. Although the bell only measures one inch larger than the YFB-621, the YEB-321/382 is a significantly larger horn overall in the size of its sound -- the final few branches are noticeably larger with the Eb horn.
Steve Inman
Yamaha YEB-381 Eb
Conn 56J CC
Willson-Marzan CC Solo Model
Kokomo Chamber Brass
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Inman
4 valves
4 valves

YEB-382

Post by Steve Inman »

Greg,

No longer built, the 382 is a 321 with a flat 1/2 step rotary valve inserted INSIDE the 4th valve slide. Played with the left hand thumb as you hold the horn in normal playing position. (Mine has an extension added so I can also play it with the right hand thumb, but that far away from the valve it's a rather long throw.) Noticeably bigger in the last few branches than a YFB-621, yet with the same .689 bore. 15" bell, noticeably more "core" to the sound (to my ear) than the Besson 983. NOT stuffy in the low register, as it is not a compensating horn.

All-in-all, a fun and capable medium-size Eb tuba (sound wise).
Steve Inman
Yamaha YEB-381 Eb
Conn 56J CC
Willson-Marzan CC Solo Model
Kokomo Chamber Brass