How much does Tuba X weigh

The bulk of the musical talk
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

How much does Tuba X weigh

Post by Alex F »

A general comment: It's hard to compare the specs of one tuba against another since there is no consistency in the descriptions provided by various manufacturers and dealers. Onc can usually get info about the bore and bell diameter, finish, and number of type of valves, but it's hard to find tuba height and weight info. I think these latter two characteristics are also important.

More specifically, can anyone supply the height and weight of the following:

Miraphone 182 (3/4)
Miraphone 186
King 2341
Olds O-99
Cerveny 683 (3/4)
Cerveny 686
VMI 3301

Thanks in advance for the info. It would be helpful to get this into a table and post it in the "info" section. Looks like Sean set this option up but there's little content there.

Wishing everyone a happy and safe Independence Day.

Alex F.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

VMI 3300 series tubas are 36" tall; my 3302, which has a 5th rotor but is otherwise identical to the 3301, weighs 25 lbs.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: How much does Tuba X weigh

Post by Rick Denney »

Alex F wrote:A general comment: It's hard to compare the specs of one tuba against another since there is no consistency in the descriptions provided by various manufacturers and dealers.
You can compare heights on my website:

http://www.rickdenney.com/tubas_compared.htm

It shows a bunch of tubas, including several on your list, side by side with my 39"-tall York Master.

My mid-70's Miraphone 186 BBb tuba weighs 20 pounds according to today's measurement (it's been gaining weight, just like me; it weighed 18 pounds a couple of years ago when I weighed it). Using the same method, my B&S Symphonie F tuba weighs 16 pounds and the Holton 345 BBb weighs 29 pounds. The York Master feels heavier to me than the Holton, so perhaps it's gained weight since I measure it two years ago, as well (it was 30 pounds, then). All the other tubas were in cases and I didn't want to pull them out.

The Miraphone is about 40 inches tall, and the Cerveny that I owned 20 years ago is about the same (it's probably close to a 681).

Rick "suggesting that you use these values for comparison only--I don't trust those scales" Denney