What do you think of a MW 45S F tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
Jeff Keller
bugler
bugler

What do you think of a MW 45S F tuba?

Post by Jeff Keller »

Just like the question states: What do you think of a MW 45S F tuba? I would just run a poll about the horn but I want feedback on the horn. Telling me that you like it or don't is great but please tell me why. I am seriously thinking about purchasing a new one, and this like any horn purchase should be well thought through. Thanks to any that can give me any personal experiences with the horn or even hearsay.

Jeff
Stefan Kac
bugler
bugler

Post by Stefan Kac »

I have tried (briefly) three of these horns over the last few years. I'm always very disappointed with the typical response problems on the low C etc. because each horn has seemed to be an otherwise superb instrument. It probably comes down to whether you are willing to deal with those response problems or not.
As an alternative, you might check out the MW 2141 Eb (I think that's the number). Just as great an instrument, and the low notes pop right out with no extra effort..
Gorilla Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Gorilla Tuba »

I've got one. It is great. Sounds like an F tuba, not a CC that happens to be pitched in F. Having owned a YFB-822, Mirafone 180, and a Meinl Weston 182, I can honestly say that this is the perfect F tuba for me. I've tried a bunch.

It is true that the CC sucks up a lot of air as is the case with most rotary F tubas. It is managable and a worthwhile trade off (for me)to get that sweet velvety smooth F tuba sound.

I would not choose this as my sole tuba. If you had to buy only 1 tuba, and it had to be in F, the 45SLP 45SLZ or Yamaha 822 would be better. If you are looking for an F tuba to compliment/ contrast with the sound of you full sized CC tuba, the 45S is a great choice.

For what its worth, I bought this to pair with a B&S PT6.
A. Douglas Whitten
Associate Director of Bands
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
Pittsburg State University
Stefan
bugler
bugler

Post by Stefan »

I think that Doug sums it up very well. Compared to the other notes, the low C is a bit unsteady. However, if you are practicing a lot, and you really have the note in your head, you can make it work. Like others said, if you are looking for an F that sounds like an F - this one is great to have. But if you want your F sound to sound like a C (and feel), a different horn would be better.

Stefan Antwarg