Visualizer

The bulk of the musical talk
clarke
bugler
bugler

Visualizer

Post by clarke »

Howdy folks...i was just wondering if anyone know where i could purchase a tuba visualizer on the internet...thanks

eli
winston
pro musician
pro musician

Post by winston »

Last edited by winston on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Re: tuba visualizer

Post by JB »

winston wrote:a tuba visualizer, what the heck is that?
See the following...

New! Mouthpiece Visualizer

Mouthpiece rim only (same rim as FC Helleberg), affixed to metal handle, silver-plated. This is an invaluable tool for improving response, working on attacks, and intensifying your buzz. Allows you to observe your embouchure, and is great for teaching, too!
Price (including shipping): $35.00

to be found at...

http://www.floydcooley.com/mouthpieces.html

But one example of this device...
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

schlepporello wrote:Would a transparent Kellyberg mouthpiece work?
Not the same principle (in my humble opinion). Same goes for those clear Ellis Wean "Tru-view" mp's. Similar to the clear Kelly products.

The idea, as I understand it, is to simply have the "support" of the rim available only. Plus, otherwise you are not able to view the embouchure straight-on from in front.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

JB wrote:
schlepporello wrote:Would a transparent Kellyberg mouthpiece work?
Not the same principle (in my humble opinion). Same goes for those clear Ellis Wean "Tru-view" mp's. Similar to the clear Kelly products.

The idea, as I understand it, is to simply have the "support" of the rim available only. Plus, otherwise you are not able to view the embouchure straight-on from in front.
From what I've been able to see while one of the other players at work was using a clear Kellyberg, it's... well, it's really funny to watch!

I could see his lips protrude into the cup, stuff like that, except that I couldn't see with enough clarity to be useful. The shapes distorted the view too much.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

I certainly like the Thompson concept.

Not only for visualizing: put such a thing in your receiver, and you are guanteered an open sound, the potential shortcomings of your instrument notwithstanding.

Klaus
Tom B.
bugler
bugler

Post by Tom B. »

I got my mouthpiece rim from WindSong Press.

http://www.windsongpress.com/index.htm
Rim - Delrin for Tuba
Many mistakenly call rims "embouchure visualizers," but they have more uses than to observe the placement of one's embouchure. The real value is to isolate the lip's muscle fibers while buzzing. Jacobs cautions students not to buzz their lips without the use of a rim. Buzzing without a rim involves many more muscles than if the lips are supported with a rim. He recommends that buzzing should only be performed in the lower mid-range and for very short periods—two or three minutes maximum. We have developed trombone and tuba rims made of delrim that cost less than brass - great for students and use in the car.
Price: $15.00
It's a little hard to find the item on their site, but look under "order online" and then under "mouthpieces/rims/buzz aids". The size seems pretty close to my Bach 12.
brianf
4 valves
4 valves

Post by brianf »

It seems that most of the world has abandoned the visualizer, rim-on-a-stick or whatever you call it. Years ago these were common but today for tuba, it is limited. I seem to think this is because of computerized lathes, in the old days if a cup or shank was screwed up, they would just cut off the rim, put it on a stick and get something out of it. With today's technology there are less mistakes making mouthpieces and with labor costs high, very few companies make visualizers.

I've been stocking rims for all brass for years. Bach still makes them for trumpets and trombones, although I have no idea about the size. Seems the only one who makes Horn rims is Tilz in Germany and the price has skyrocketted! For tuba, Floyd Cooley gets them - I pretty much split orders with him. Cost for all of the brass rims is up there!

Years ago I was talking to Mr Jacobs and we came up with an idea - forget making these of silver plated brass. We came up with an idea to make them out of delrin. I came up with a model for tuba (same size as a Helleberg), tenor trombone (based on a Schilke 51) and a bass trombone (based on a Bach 1 1/2G). These are true, generic rims - they are the same size as the originals but the rim is flat with no curvature.

Yep, there are those who, for some reason, who want THE exact rim they play on. One person gave me a line that they could tell if a rim was one millimeter off - I seriously doubt it! Mr Jacobs always said the purpose of a rim is to isolate the musculature of the lips, the delrin rims do this just as well as the brass rims at half the cost.

Hope this helps!
Brian Frederiksen
WindSong Press
PO Box 146
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Phone 847 223-4586
http://www.windsongpress.com" target="_blank
brianf@windsongpress.com" target="_blank
dave
bugler
bugler

Post by dave »

If you have a band saw with a metal cutting blade, do it yourself
A hack saw will do just as good a job as a bandsaw, & take maybe two minutes max.

Dave
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

brianf wrote: I seem to think this is because of computerized lathes, in the old days if a cup or shank was screwed up, they would just cut off the rim, put it on a stick and get something out of it. With today's technology there are less mistakes making mouthpieces and with labor costs high, very few companies make visualizers.
I would have NEVER thought of that (shows what I know!), but it makes a lot of sense!

And I thought they were just going out of style...