Moving TubeNet here

The bulk of the musical talk
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Re: New Tubenet

Post by WoodSheddin »

Doc wrote:Looks like it's gonna work just fine. I just want to know if there will be any links to shops, recordings, events, etc., and where they can be found. Good luck on the new format.

Doc
Yes. Once I have time to really dig into the code and customize this site it will contain much of the same stuff as the old site. Just need time to figure it all out. I just installed the software last night and already have over 230 memberships.

Give me a couple of weeks to work it all out.
sean chisham
JohnMCooper
bugler
bugler

Post by JohnMCooper »

Sean,

I like the new format. I belong to a few other forums (vintage-mustangs, turbo-diesel registry) and have found it a very good thing to force people to register if they want to post. It helps keep the anonymous abuse down to a minimum that is usually associated with public forums. This will make your job easier in the long run, and help to have a more civil forum. It would also help in keeping out spam.

Thanks again for all the time and effort you put into this project. It is very much appreciated.

John Cooper
Mirafone 184-4U BBb
Besson BE943 Bass T-Bone
1929 Conn 4H Tenor T-Bone
Selman Eb Alto T-Bone
Sioux Falls Canaries Baseball
docpugh
bugler
bugler

Post by docpugh »

Nice job with the new bulletin board, Sean. I really dig it!!! This is the kind of board that I'm already familiar with, having used it with other boards for other hobbies.

Thanks for the change!!

Darrell :D
==============================
Ivan Darrell Pugh, Jr., DO
http://docpugh.mav.net
docpugh@yahoo.com
==============================
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DonShirer »

Although I too liked the hierarchical display of sub-threads in the old BBS, the other features of the new one might make up for it.

When I first signed in, I thought "Oh, no, here comes another cookie (setting) monster", but I was pleasantly surprised to see that most instances merely modified existing cookies.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

dumb bloke wrote:How am I supposed to tell who I'm responding to or who is responding to me?
Use the quote button and it makes things easier to track.
sean chisham
JCradler
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JCradler »

Can't say as i like the new BBS. This is probably just fear of the new. The old way was sure easy, but there was way too much in the way of clutter. Will this no longer be a problem?
I really liked having everything in front of me, only having to scroll to see what was up. Someone 'splain to me why this will be better?

JC
John Cradler
Mark

Re: Moving TubeNet here

Post by Mark »

Well, I too miss the "idea" of sub-threads, otherwise I think this is an improvement.

One big question: Will the archives be available to the new search engine?
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

Chuck(G) wrote:Not too Shabby, Sean! 8)

It's a little harder to read for those of us with weak peepers, but I think I can get used to it.

I don't know if it's possible, but it would be a great improvement to have the BBS profile scale whatever size image that was submitted as an avatar.

[/i]
I noticed this too (text size). I wonder how easily that could be changed?

The avatar rules are the same in most places I visit.

The one thing I love is the ability to stay logged in and do a drive by post. I love it, Sean. I wasn't too sure at first, but I think it is GREAT!!!
Last edited by FarahShazam on Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--farah chisham
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

What did I do wrong with the quotes... OH, if you wanna do quotes, be sure not to disable codes... got it.

EDITING the post is a great GREAT thing!!!
Last edited by FarahShazam on Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

Anonymous wrote:Sean, is it possible to make the text of the messages a larger font, so it stands out from the other backround info? I think it might be a little more readable.
I'm definately asking him about this one.
Jeff Miller
bugler
bugler

text size

Post by Jeff Miller »

MomOfSampson wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Sean, is it possible to make the text of the messages a larger font, so it stands out from the other backround info? I think it might be a little more readable.
I'm definately asking him about this one.
Farah,

It's good to have someone on the inside.

Jeff Miller (by the way, "Hi.")
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Another thing --

The thread on the old BBS about the robot orchestra conductor (which branched into God-knows-what) had only 44 posts or so and became almost illegible, while this thread is already well over 50 and still relatively easy to follow.

In other words, I've only had to click on 4 links to read every post in this thread, while I would have had to click on 55+ to read this same thread on the old site.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Leland wrote:Another thing --

The thread on the old BBS about the robot orchestra conductor (which branched into God-knows-what) had only 44 posts or so and became almost illegible, while this thread is already well over 50 and still relatively easy to follow.

In other words, I've only had to click on 4 links to read every post in this thread, while I would have had to click on 55+ to read this same thread on the old site.
I guess not everyone hates me now.
sean chisham
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Changing the size of the text is easy.

When you click on the 'post new topic' or 'post reply' buttons, you're given a new screen. On that new screen are pull downs for color changing and font size. This size of this typing is 10 point, and looks to be the default. If you want to increase the size of your post, highlight the text, click on the pulldown till you see large or huge.

This is large or 18 point. If that's too big for you, you can highlight and change that 18 number to anything you want. I just changed it to 15 pt.

This is huge... or 24 point

There are also many colors you can add for effect.

Red, DarkRed, Orange, Brown, Yellow, Green, and a few more.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
TonyTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by TonyTuba »

If Matt Good can get used to it, I guess I can, too.
Tony Granados
Triangle Brass Band and Triangle Youth Brass Band, Music Director

http://www.tonytuba.com" target="_blank
http://www.trianglebrass.org" target="_blank
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

I'll agree on the "less clicks" to find what you want. Plus, you got the Ebay forum, the for-sale forum, the off topic forum...

A place for everything, and everything in its place.
harrell
bugler
bugler

Looks good!

Post by harrell »

It'll take some getting used to, but I think it is great!
Jason
PT-20PS
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Moving TubeNet here

Post by imperialbari »

[quote="Rick F"]Changing the size of the text is easy.

Font size is not the only thing mattering, for those wanting to read with a reasonably high speed. So is the very font shape.

Optiming fonts for easy readability is nothing new. The informed ones know, that serif fonts are the ones, which support the fast movement of the eye. And within the serif font group Times is the one, which has stood the test of time best.

Aside from the perfect way the original TubeNet reflects the structure of the debate, it has one more feature very friendly to the human sitting at the receiving end: he/she can choose the font best suiting his/hers reading needs.

My age and my high resolution monitor makes Times 24 a very good font for fast reading. The default Arial 12 is far too small, thin, and unfriendly even on a less high resolution monitor.

With all the fine features available in modern software, if the core project (in casu: the TubeNet billboard) does not come out logically structured and easily legible, then it will not be used as much as the original TubeNet.

Klaus
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

TubeNet wrote:I guess not everyone hates me now.
Hah! I'm the poor soul that first brought up the thread issue and I certainly don't hate you. I think you are a down right swell guy. I'm tickled pink to have this forum in any form. Just that some of us deal with change less enthusiastically than others. I think that those of us that gripe and complain do so out of love. If we didn't care you would hear lots of silence. I think it's pretty interesting how much ownership people feel towards this forum that there are so many strong opinions. You can't buy that kind of loyalty with new software and I'm pretty sure new software won't destroy it either. Over the years you've done quite a few things with a lot of class and wisdom. I think that's what counts for most of us.

I also thought the color change way back when was the end of the world so my reaction should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Do what you want to do and at the end of the day I for one will still think you are just peachy. :D
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Rick F wrote:Changing the size of the text is easy.

When you click on the 'post new topic' or 'post reply' buttons, you're given a new screen. On that new screen are pull downs for color changing and font size. This size of this typing is 10 point, and looks to be the default. If you want to increase the size of your post, highlight the text, click on the pulldown till you see large or huge.
That's not exactly what I meant, Rick. What I'd like to see is a general way to increase the default size of the text that everyone else has used. Honestly, on IE on my system, the default font size looks to be about 8 points.

I suppose I'll have to browse using Mozilla or Opera and zoom in on the text. :cry:

Thanks,