Moving TubeNet here Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Moving TubeNet here

Postby TubaGuy63 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:05 pm

I love the change! It's about time for an evolution of the boards!
TubaGuy63

Postby Dieseltuba » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:51 pm

TubeNet wrote:I am working on migrating TubeNet here. I could use some help with testing it. Feel free to post away!

I don't like this but I will give it a chance if I have too. How do you follow a thread? Could you post some gerneral info on how to use this sight on the old tubanet on how to (tell a new thread for an old one at a glance, follow a topic, Scan for new topics and what ever else). For people like me who want to stay with you guys but don't know how to use this sight in the way that they used the old one. If this education is done on the old sight it might help get everybody over here. I go to other sights like this only when I have to so I can get info. but I have been going to tubanet because it was fun and easier to understand at a glance. If everyone doesn't come to this sight because they can't post and follow as effortlessly as they did at the old sight then what you had will be damaged. Thanks for the work you have put into the tubanet project from the time you started it.
Dieseltuba

Postby JeffO » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:06 pm

Use the "Quote" feature. A lot of people seem stuck on the thread idea. I think there are many many other useful features that will outweigh that one and you will get used to it.
Jeff
JeffO

New Forum is Great

Postby betch » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:19 pm

:D The new form for the forum is wonderful.
Very much like some of the other top notch places to visit on the Web.

Steve Boettger
betch

Postby JCradler » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:21 pm

Can't say as i like the new BBS. This is probably just fear of the new. The old way was sure easy, but there was way too much in the way of clutter. Will this no longer be a problem?
I really liked having everything in front of me, only having to scroll to see what was up. Someone 'splain to me why this will be better?

JC
John Cradler
JCradler
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Dieseltuba » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:30 pm

JeffO wrote:Use the "Quote" feature. A lot of people seem stuck on the thread idea. I think there are many many other useful features that will outweigh that one and you will get used to it.
Jeff

If the quote button is used to make things easyier to follow can you make it do that all the time for everyone unless they post a new topic. I'm sure there is some reason that won't work. I like the features of the new sight but really like the threads on the old one.
Dieseltuba

Postby Dieseltuba » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:35 pm

JCradler wrote:Can't say as i like the new BBS. This is probably just fear of the new. The old way was sure easy, but there was way too much in the way of clutter. Will this no longer be a problem?
I really liked having everything in front of me, only having to scroll to see what was up. Someone 'splain to me why this will be better?

JC

Yeh, me to. If tubanet is really movin over here hope everybody take the time to learn it and enough help is given to get everybody educated.

You think you guys will come to the Great American Brass Band Festival this year in KY?

If you get this message it will be pretty cool.
Dieseltuba

Postby JeffO » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:46 pm

JCradler wrote:Someone 'splain to me why this will be better?

Notification when somebody has replied to a thread.

Require registration in order to post which cuts down on spam and a little of the trollling.

A page which lists all the new posts since your last visit.
http://forums.chisham.com/search.php?search_id=newposts

Good search function.

Polls.

Editing posts.

Avatars and smilies!!! (no big deal)

Topics make it more organized.

Private messaging within the board without having to have your email address displayed publicly and get harvested by spammers.

Signatures.

Can post more than one URL or image in a post if you don't know HTML.

Look up a user's profile to see who and where they are (if they offer that info).

Threads can be discussed longer without them getting lost at the bottom of the page.

Many features that make it easier for Sean to administer.

I could go on and on. Welcome to the 21st century.
Last edited by JeffO on Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffO

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:05 pm

Sean, is it possible to make the text of the messages a larger font, so it stands out from the other backround info? I think it might be a little more readable.

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:38 pm

Well, I too miss the "idea" of sub-threads, otherwise I think this is an improvement.

One big question: Will the archives be available to the new search engine?
Mark Wiseman
Mark
6 valves
6 valves

Postby FarahShazam » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:44 pm

Chuck(G) wrote:Not too Shabby, Sean! 8)

It's a little harder to read for those of us with weak peepers, but I think I can get used to it.

I don't know if it's possible, but it would be a great improvement to have the BBS profile scale whatever size image that was submitted as an avatar.

[/i]

I noticed this too (text size). I wonder how easily that could be changed?

The avatar rules are the same in most places I visit.

The one thing I love is the ability to stay logged in and do a drive by post. I love it, Sean. I wasn't too sure at first, but I think it is GREAT!!!
Last edited by FarahShazam on Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--farah chisham
FarahShazam
Chisham
Chisham

Postby FarahShazam » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:45 pm

What did I do wrong with the quotes... OH, if you wanna do quotes, be sure not to disable codes... got it.

EDITING the post is a great GREAT thing!!!
Last edited by FarahShazam on Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FarahShazam
Chisham
Chisham

?????

Postby Confused » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:56 pm

I can't figure out what the hell is going on here.

It even took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to post. I still can't figure out how to look up the reply to a given post. Is there a training page anywhere?

Don't get me wrong - it looks fantastic, and I guess I just need to learn how to use it, but the "visual scan" method and the visible threads on the old one were a real plus in my opinion.

If there is some way to view threads, then I'm all for this.

As for anonymous logins: I've seriously considered dropping off the old site due to all the crap that gets posted anonymously. I think that really weakens the potential stregnth of TubeNet, and drives away a lot of serious posters.

Anyway, I'm easy, as it's not my bbs, so Sean, thanks for all the work, no matter what you choose to do.
Confused

Postby FarahShazam » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:07 pm

Anonymous wrote:Sean, is it possible to make the text of the messages a larger font, so it stands out from the other backround info? I think it might be a little more readable.

I'm definately asking him about this one.
FarahShazam
Chisham
Chisham

text size

Postby Jeff Miller » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:36 pm

MomOfSampson wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Sean, is it possible to make the text of the messages a larger font, so it stands out from the other backround info? I think it might be a little more readable.

I'm definately asking him about this one.

Farah,

It's good to have someone on the inside.

Jeff Miller (by the way, "Hi.")
Jeff Miller
bugler
bugler

Postby Leland » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:39 pm

Another thing --

The thread on the old BBS about the robot orchestra conductor (which branched into God-knows-what) had only 44 posts or so and became almost illegible, while this thread is already well over 50 and still relatively easy to follow.

In other words, I've only had to click on 4 links to read every post in this thread, while I would have had to click on 55+ to read this same thread on the old site.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Postby WoodSheddin » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:00 pm

Leland wrote:Another thing --

The thread on the old BBS about the robot orchestra conductor (which branched into God-knows-what) had only 44 posts or so and became almost illegible, while this thread is already well over 50 and still relatively easy to follow.

In other words, I've only had to click on 4 links to read every post in this thread, while I would have had to click on 55+ to read this same thread on the old site.

I guess not everyone hates me now.
sean chisham
WoodSheddin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rick F » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:02 pm

Changing the size of the text is easy.

When you click on the 'post new topic' or 'post reply' buttons, you're given a new screen. On that new screen are pull downs for color changing and font size. This size of this typing is 10 point, and looks to be the default. If you want to increase the size of your post, highlight the text, click on the pulldown till you see large or huge.

This is large or 18 point. If that's too big for you, you can highlight and change that 18 number to anything you want. I just changed it to 15 pt.

This is huge... or 24 point

There are also many colors you can add for effect.

Red, DarkRed, Orange, Brown, Yellow, Green, and a few more.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Postby TonyTuba » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:37 pm

If Matt Good can get used to it, I guess I can, too.
Tony Granados
Triangle Brass Band and Triangle Youth Brass Band, Music Director

http://www.tonytuba.com
http://www.trianglebrass.org
TonyTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Adam C. » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:47 pm

I'll agree on the "less clicks" to find what you want. Plus, you got the Ebay forum, the for-sale forum, the off topic forum...

A place for everything, and everything in its place.
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet