Best Tuba Player on the Planet

The bulk of the musical talk
64galaxie
lurker
lurker

Re: Best Tuba Player on the Planet

Post by 64galaxie »

Best jazz/dixieland player..what about Red Lehr ?? You can't tell me none of you haven't heard of David "Red" Lehr ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC9-qhCgn0o" target="_blank
Last edited by 64galaxie on Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64galaxie
lurker
lurker

Post by 64galaxie »

bloke wrote:
64galaxie wrote:Best jazz/dixieland player..what about Red Lehr ??
Rich smoked him 12 to the 12th power...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCXWDRvtKxA

You really should listen to *all* of this, but you *could* skip to 47:00 first.
12 to the 12th power huh...**** ,....for the sake of not getting into big dick swinging match,I'll just say that he might not have a college pedigree,he never took a music lesson in his life,BUT ,he has accoplished this.... A farmer, butcher with his own meat processing plant and market, real estate entrepreneur, and world-class sharp-shooter, Red is also an astounding virtuoso of the sousaphone, combining unique technique with showmanship. At five years old he stood on an orange crate to play his daddy's trombone. In grade school, as the strongest and tallest kid, he began to play the big sousaphone with which he has intrigued audiences ever since. David "Red" Lehr, sousaphone, is recognized as one of the finest jazz sousaphone players in the world. Red is basically a self taught musician who started on trombone at the age of six and then changed to sousaphone at age thirteen. Mainly playing in marching and "oom-pa" bands, Red started with a banjo band in St. Louis at Your Father's Mustache in 1961. He played at various banjo palaces until 1977, when he joined Jeannie Kittrel's Jazz Incredibles and the Old St. Louis Levee Band. He went on his first European tour with the Jazz Incredibles in 1985, a tour which took him to France, Germany and Holland. In 1989 he toured Scotland, Wales and Holland. Red was featured soloist at the National Tuba Symposium in 1975 and has performed on several occasions with Richard Hayman and the Saint Louis Symphony Pops Orchestra. Red was hand-picked for an all-star 7-piece International Band at the 1994 Sacramento Jazz Jubilee. He was selected by readers of The American Rag in a national survey in 2000 as their favorite of all jazz sousaphonists. Admired by classical as well as jazz musicians, Red has been starred in regional and national conferences of brass instruments (Champaign IL, 1973; Lexington KY, 1990; Bloomington IL, 2005). He has appeared in concert with Billy Butterfield, Jack Maheu, Barrett Deems, Ernie Carson, Jerry Fuller, and Pee Wee Mateese. By day Red keeps busy at his meat market in New Athens, Illinois. By night he plays the jazz he loves. He currently leads the St. Louis Rivermen, the Jazz Incredibles, the Old St. Louis Levee Band, and Red Lehr's Powerhouse Five...
64galaxie
lurker
lurker

Post by 64galaxie »

Hello Tubabum, Have you ever heard the CD that the Jazz Incredibles recorded in 1995 in Japan ?? In 1995 the JI gave three concerts in Tokyo, Japan, with Akira Tsumura's STORYVILLE DANDIES JAZZ BAND (He is the author of the book 1001 Banjos) and the JI recorded a great CD with Tsumura's band. A few boxes of the CD's were sent home with the JI, but the were never sold due to the politically incorrect cover on the CD. It seems Mr.Tsumura put a caption on the back of the CD of a Black man in a hammock eating a piece of watermelon. None the less, the Japanese musicians he had on the CD were really top notch. I'll see if I can dig up a copy of that CD,I've got one somewhere.....
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

Mark wrote:After giving this thread some long, serious thought, I have conclude that: I am Spartacus!
I AM SPARTACUS
williamp
bugler
bugler

Post by williamp »

I have many favorites for different types of music, but Carol Jantsch has impressed me each time I've had the privilege of hearing her. Kind of surprised I didn't see her name on anyone else's list.
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

Manfred Haberlein
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Chester Schmitz , without a doubt the best to ever pick up the tuba. There isn't a single weakness in his playing and he does it all.
Most dont know him because he didnt make any albums during his tenure at Boston but if you can listen to his John Williams or Jabba the Hutt you will see what i mean. Anything you have heard from the people that have been mentioned so far, Chester can do it and do it better. I had the honor to study with him and he is also an amazing teacher.

Chester, end of story.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re:

Post by MackBrass »

tuben wrote:Sigh.... Questions like this are totally pointless...

But no one has said Chester Schmitz...

I've heard more guys with JOBS say he is their favorite than anyone else.

RC

Plus one, before i knew Chester i asked a very well known pro in a major orchestra who he thought was the best and Chester was the answer. There is not a single weakness in his playing. Off the charts.
Tom McGrady
804-926-7707
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

bloke wrote:' anyone have a bootleg-or-otherwise recording of him playing J.T. Williams' Tuba Concerto - dedicated to him?
At the time i had it yeara ago i also had Gens recoding and Roger Bobo's, chester was the best. Its out there somewhere.
Tom McGrady
804-926-7707
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Post by anonymous4 »

I nominate Bloke
jimgray
bugler
bugler

Post by jimgray »

Chester was definitely a freak of nature.
At the top of his game, I haven't heard many who can touch him - uniquely gifted natural player and excellent musician.

There are a few recordings here and there, some from his early years (Hindemith, Bruckner, etc), some from his later years (Berg violin concerto - amazing exposed stuff near the beginning of the first movement, etc).
Hearing him live in BSO symphony hall playing Mahler was not to be believed...

incredible whistler too!
Woods
bugler
bugler

Post by Woods »

Oystein Baadsvik all the way!! :tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

I googled "best tuba player ever" and this was the first result. I think it is the best tuba playing ever. I'm not even being sarcastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIwGcu0BWcw
Woods
bugler
bugler

Post by Woods »

k001k47 wrote:I googled "best tuba player ever" and this was the first result. I think it is the best tuba playing ever. I'm not even being sarcastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIwGcu0BWcw
:tuba: :lol: :lol:
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

TubaBum wrote:
bloke wrote:
TubaBum wrote:Again Classical/Jazz totally different animals.
"good = good"

- [should have been said by] Wynton Marsalis
Topic was "Who is the "BEST" on the planet, not just "good". The best has probably never been seen since there's good and "bests" at each different style. Show me a guy who can ace the Vaughn Williams on a thursday night recital like Bobo and then go play a Traditional Jazz gig at a festival on Saturday and play like Red Lehr or Matt Perrine acing improv. Don't think he is out there.
By your description i would go with Sam P. As he can do that and has done it.

Best orchestral, best musician and technical freak, that is Chester. There isnt a tuba player today that can do what chester could.

I see Arnold Jacobs was on this list and have to respectively disagree. Jake by todays standards is not in the same league but in his time he was considered one of the best, but that was a long time ago. There was also a time when the VW was considered unplayable, things have changed. JMHO
Tom McGrady
804-926-7707
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

Sorry, but anyone stating opinions as "Without a doubt" is bullshit.
Peach
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Doofus.

The category is Best Tuba Player on the Planet.

NOT Best Tuba Player on a Camel.

:roll:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Smokin'!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »