Best Tuba Player on the Planet

The bulk of the musical talk
MikeS
bugler
bugler

Post by MikeS »

First off, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Velvet Brown. I believe she deserves a spot on anyone's short list.

I'll limit my response to the best playing I've ever heard live. A number of years back I played in a group backing up Steve Sykes as the featured soloist. The performance was in an arena and our "green room" was a hockey locker room. Steve was in a corner warming up. He was playing so quietly you almost had to stick your head in the bell to hear him but every attack was spot on, his tone was gorgeous, and even the scales he played were alive and musical. Steve is a terrific musician, showman, arranger and conductor. He's also a great storyteller. If you ever have a chance to share a plate of curry and a beer with him don't pass it up.
lgb&dtuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by lgb&dtuba »

MikeS wrote:

I'll limit my response to the best playing I've ever heard live. A number of years back I played in a group backing up Steve Sykes as the featured soloist. The performance was in an arena and our "green room" was a hockey locker room. Steve was in a corner warming up. He was playing so quietly you almost had to stick your head in the bell to hear him but every attack was spot on, his tone was gorgeous, and even the scales he played were alive and musical. Steve is a terrific musician, showman, arranger and conductor. He's also a great storyteller. If you ever have a chance to share a plate of curry and a beer with him don't pass it up.
I second Steve Sykes. A great player, all around nice guy and party animal.

He also saved me a bunch of money by letting me hear him play my old Sanders/Cerveny, thereby proving beyond the shadow of a doubt that it's the player and not the horn that's the biggest factor. I won't be replacing that horn until I can play it as well as he did. I did replace the mouthpiece on his advice, though :-)

Jim
ZNC Dandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ZNC Dandy »

Neptune wrote:I don't think there is one best tuba player on the planet. Different players are better than others in different genres of music. The best soloist would not necessarily be best in an orchestra, while the best in an orchestra would not necessarily be best playing jazz, etc. Also, tastes in what is best vary and when you get to choosing between virtuoso players it is all a matter of taste.

I personally very much like the tone and style of Walter Hilgers from recording I have heard, but I also like many others as well.
I was wondering between the two of us who would be the first name Walter Hilgers! I wish that NDR/Wand Bruckner 8 was more widely available, so more people could hear what the definition of TONE PRODUCTION is. I definately agree with you on the other points as well. Everyone has their areas of strength.
Last edited by ZNC Dandy on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
samulirask
bugler
bugler

Post by samulirask »

Jens-Bjorn Larsen is quite amazing.
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

Does there have to be a greatest tuba player on the planet? I have seen all my heroes on the tuba make terrible mistakes in their playing. Anyone who went to the first Octubafest at Cal State Fullerton in 1975 was probably shocked to see that Tommy Johnson could make a terrible mess of the Vaughan Williams Concerto. Did that make him a bad player? Absolutely not! He had been in the recording studios all day AND THEN HE DROVE TO FULLERTON to participate as a recitalist for Octubafest. No one is perfect. We can all have different favorite players. To call someone the "greatest" is being mighty presumptuous and gives no credit to the great tubists of the past. If you can make a living at playing the tuba (and keep your position longer than two years), that makes you a great player in my book, even if I can play circles around you!
3 valves

Post by CrappyEuph »

I don't believe you can say there's a "greatest tuba player on the planet." It'd be like declaring that blue is the world's greatest color...

That being said, I'd like to mention Rex Martin on this thread - his name comes up a lot as a great teacher, but he is also one of the finest players of any instrument I have ever heard.

I did my undergrad at Northwestern - so yeah, I'm biased - and I used to go to all of Professor Martin's performances, even to hear pieces I'd heard him play 20 times before, because his playing really moved me. Sound, technique, intonation, and especially musicality - he is simply incredible.

Jamie Lipton
BMus Northwestern University '03
hbcrandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hbcrandy »

John Fletcher!!!!!
Randy Harrison
Proprietor,
Harrison Brass
Baltimore, Maryland USA
http://www.harrisonbrass.com
Instructor of Applied Brass Performance
Maryland Conservatory of Music
Bel Air and Havre de Grace, Maryland USA
http://www.musicismagic.com
Tubatoad
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubatoad »

Helleburg?
Pete (the Tubatoad)
tubapress
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubapress »

Well, I don't know if there is a one greatest tuba player of all time, but any discussion of this topic has to include the name Toby Hanks.

In his prime playing years, Toby was one of the truly great artists of the tuba whose musicianship far transcended his amazing tone and technical prowess.

Fortunately, we have 2 CDs available to allow generations of musicians to listen and learn.
Gary Press
gary_press@yahoo.com" target="_blank
RyanMcGeorge
pro musician
pro musician

Post by RyanMcGeorge »

Either Mark Theile or John Cradler, can't decide. :D
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

I am unequivocally the best American tuba player living semipermanently in Saigon. At least in District 1...
6 valves

Best Tuba Player

Post by TubaRay »

SOTStuba wrote: I agree! I am the best! But only because I have a "World Class Sound"
Ah! The World Class Sound, again. Too bad we can't all have it. It seems to exist in a parallel universe. It must be a little like the "World Class City" thing that politicians trot out for those pesky projects that the voters would otherwise have no interest in.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Veggie-Tales

Post by Uncle Buck »

I asked my three-year-old son. The definitive answer is: Larry the Cucumber.
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

I guarantee I'm the best tuba player in my even-extended family. And, in my current household. And on my block. And in my ragtime, German, and Civil War band. And my jazz group.

Formula for the best ever: Jacobs' breath, Pokorny's tone and low range, Johnson's reading, Fletcher's musicality, Phillips' philanthropy, Newberger's jazz stylings, Lehr's selling a souzie solo, HoJo's adaptability, Baadsvik's contemporariness, Sheridan's pure technique, Lynch's horns, Jolly's patience, Perantoni's Inner Game philosophy, Bell's legend, Torchinsky's orchestral sound, Tucci's horn designs, *(&^)#@!'s ego (shall remain my private opinion, and actually could be many...including myself), and the combined drinking abilities of oh so many.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

SOTStuba wrote:I have a "World Class Sound"
Then thank your parents for World-Class sinuses! :wink:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
wphstubaboy
lurker
lurker

Post by wphstubaboy »

richland tuba 01 wrote:I know you don't want lists, but oh well.

Best Soloist-Oystein Baadsvik
Best Small ensemble player-Sam Pilafian
Best Polka player-Jim Dorschner
Best Orchestra player- Arnold Jacobs
Best sight reader: Tommy Johnson. no contest whatsoever.
Best Banda: I have no idea...

totally agree. personally i like Arnold Jacobs the best because in my opinion he has the best tone ive ever heard and is just amazing but thats just me
Tubaguy56
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaguy56 »

Ya know, I think we shouldn't be arguing who is the best tuba player on the planet, but who is the most musical.

In this, there is no real way to say who musicianship is necessarily better.

but, I'll bite, if I had to pick the 5 most musical tuba players on the planet that I've heard....

Pat Sheridan
Gene Pokorny
Sam Pilafian
Eugene Dowling
Roger Bobo

not necessarily in this order

I say this because these are 5 people I have listened to more extensively than others, for example, I'm sure Tommy Johnson would make this list, but I haven't listened to as much of him as the aforementioned

Bo "Agrees that the lists are completely subjective but still couldn't help but list his top five" Atlas
Besson 983 Eb
Gronitz PCK
Miraphone 186 BBb (sold)
Tubaguy56
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaguy56 »

ooh floyd cooley....Top 6 list perhaps?
Besson 983 Eb
Gronitz PCK
Miraphone 186 BBb (sold)
Mojo workin'
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Mojo workin' »

Fletch.

And I'm glad someone said Rex Martin. I studied with him as well, he sounded like a younger even more technically proficient Arnold Jacobs.
Tubanese
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubanese »

Another vote for Sam Pilafian...
Meinl Weston 2165(Prototype)
Meinl Weston 45SLZ
Meinl Weston Bill Bell Model(Original)
Holton 345
Holton "Monster Bb"