Yamaha 621F

The bulk of the musical talk
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: Yamaha 621F

Post by Rick Denney »

enigma wrote:In folks' opinion are the current productions of the 621F made consistently?

In other words if you had to would this be a horn you might consider buying without a playtest (gasp!)?
No, I would not, and I did not.

But that doesn't mean I require or even trust my own playtesting (or that I did to any great extent when I bought my 621). I did, however, have a couple of professional friends play it for me to ensure it was a good one. This was easy--I bought it off the conference floor at TMEA many years ago, and both my friends were present. Both pronounced it excellent and I've been pleased with it ever since.

If you can't get to the horn before buying it, I would suggest buying from a source close enough to someone with a reputation you respect, who can check it out for you. That would be worth paying them for their time, it seems to me. I would put some dealers in the category of having reputations I respect, and would buy instruments from them based on their recommendation (though I might still try to talk them down, heh, heh).

If you buy used, the risk is not that high because you can sell it. You'll lose much more if you buy it new and have to sell it.

Rick "answering a general question generally" Denney