European Conservatories

The bulk of the musical talk
Mudman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mudman »

However, she was only looking at the ones in St. Petersburg and Moscow because that is the only foreign language in which she is fluent.
Bring your own toilet paper to Russia--you won't find any if you use a public or conservatory facility. The St. Petersburg (Korsakov) Conservatory is full of history and a great place to visit. Shostakovich, Chaikovsky and others are all listed on a marble plaque showing notable graduates. However, high crime, lack of street lights, and general poverty would make me think twice about living in St. Petersburg. I was saddened to see a totally run-down city where just about every building has cracked and taped over windows. The historic churches and palaces are amazing, and the concert hall in the conservatory is decorated like a palace ballroom. On the downside, Russia boasts 3x the number of murders as the US. The family that gave me a tour of the city said that the cost of a contract killing is common knowledge.

On the other hand, the women are beautiful . . . maybe I'll go back :wink:
Chen
3 valves
3 valves

Tuba studying abroad

Post by Chen »

I thought it is generally tuition-free to attend music schools in Germany and France, the most expensive part is usually the living expenses. And I assume the European dollar VS American dollar situation (1:1.23) doesn't make it very much better, at least now. Heck, where I came from USD is worth 33 now, used to be 28 5 yrs ago, went as high as 35. Lausanne in Switzerland used to be a great place to study tuba, Roger Bobo used to teach there, I don't know if he has retired from there. They speak French in Lausanne.
I have a friend he goes to St. Petersburgh Conservatory and study tuba there. It seems like most people play on the St. Pete brand tuba. One trumpet friend also went there to study, and he sounded amazing after 3 years study there.
Studying abroad can be a wonderful experience, but obviously I don't know how well you play or your money situation, that's up to you to make judgements. From what I understand, it is extrememly competitive to get in the top conservatories in Europe - just as hard as getting into a good school here in the U.S. But there are many fine teachers teaching in other conservatories in Paris (and other big cities in Europe) as well. May I also mention that, if you go to Europe for experience and for tuba playing - that's great. But go to Europe for a Doctor's degree doesn't make any sense to me. Where I come from, a diploma from a European conservatory will be recognized as equal to a MM in performance, coz that's what it really is - tuba playing - with or without theory, with lots of flexibility.
ahowle
bugler
bugler

Post by ahowle »

bloke wrote: she was only looking at the ones in St. Petersburg and Moscow because that is the only foreign language in which she is fluent.
Meh, I've taught myself a bit of Russian (I get bored a lot), and though I have forgotten much of it, it would come back easily, should I ever need to use it. Once you get decent at two foreign languages, any languages thereafter are usually pretty easier. Anyway, if there are good conservatories there, I'll definitely look into those, though Russia is definitely not on the top of my list of countries in which I'd like to live.
Chen wrote:Lausanne in Switzerland used to be a great place to study tuba, Roger Bobo used to teach there, I don't know if he has retired from there. They speak French in Lausanne.
I'd probably rather live in Switzerland than in any other European country. However, it is, of the area in which I'm most interested (Benelux, France, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, etc), probably the most expensive country in which to live. Is there any way to find out if Bobo is still the teacher there?
Steve Oberheu
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Oberheu »

Hey Austin!

I studied 3 years with Roger in Lausanne. As of next year, he will be teaching full time at the RNCM in Manchester, UK, and will no longer be associated with the Conservatoire in Lausanne. The school in Manchester is great! And, they already speak English! But, if living in a region where the language is different is what you prefer....

If you prefer to speak French, you could study with Mel Culbertson at the conservatoire in Lyon (great city for food!). The teacher at the Paris Conservatoire is (or at least, was) Gerard Buquet. I'm not sure who will be at Lausanne after Roger leaves.

On the other side of Switzerland is Zurich, if you prefer living in a German-speaking region (albeit, Swiss German!). The teacher at the Zurich conservatory is Anne-Jelle Visser, who is the principal tubist with the Zurich opera. He is one of my favorite players that few people in the States know about. Wonderful player and a very good teacher! Also in Zurich is a fellow named Simon Stiles...a British fellow who is principal tuba with the Tonhalle Orchester in Zurich. Also a wonderful player and person!

There are several places and people to study with in Germany. Markus Hotzel, Heiko Triebener and Walter Hilgers come to mind. I forget which cities they are in. I think Hotzel teaches in Berlin, Triebener in Bamberg and Hilgers also in Berlin. Other cities to look at are Frankfurt, Munich, Hamburg and Koln (Cologne). There are players everywhere who will be glad to teach you. I'd suggest find someone you really like and go there. Berlin is the most happening city in Germany....6 different orchestras playing there for you to go see!

As far as the timing of when you go....I took a semester off from my undergrad to go for 4 months to Switzerland to study with Bobo. It was one of the best decisions I ever made! My suggestion to you is....if you can find a way to make the finances work, go! Don't put your stock into waiting for a scholarship if you can make it happen now....especially if you are only going for one semester. One semester is not hard at all.

For the language part of it....you don't need a bloody degree to speak French or German to anybody! You just go and start speaking! Make lots of mistakes while talking to people and have fun learning the language! If you are going to take any academic classes (theory, harmony, counterpoint, etc.), you will always be able to find someone who speaks English to help you out. My guess is...for only one semester of study, you will be only focusing on playing. If you find out you like it there....you may stay longer (it happens!). At any rate....you don't have to have a language mastered to go over and study. I know plenty of people that started classes with only a very rudimentary knowledge of the language that have done just fine.

Oh, and by the way....all the teachers mentioned above (with the exception of Markus Hotzel) speak English! your lessons will probably be in English, so that will not be a problem for you. The only times you would really use your foreign language skills would be talking to friends or people in the city.

A semester in Europe is very exciting! you will have a great time and really benefit from it! I hope you get the chance you want!

Steve Oberheu
ahowle
bugler
bugler

Post by ahowle »

Thanks for the info. As far as Switzerland goes, it probably would be better to be in the French-speaking regions, as neither I, nor very many native German speakers can understand Schwyzerdütsch (or Schweizerdeutsch, however you want to look at it), though I would prefer German to French, generally speaking (no pun intended). As far as the degree in the languages go, I've been mainly teaching myself French and German and have skipped several years of study thereby. I plan on studying it in college so that I don't forget it and progress in it, but the real way I plan on learning it well is by living there for half a year!

Studying in the UK with Bobo is a possiblity, though. I'm a fan of Hilgers as well. Would you happen to know if he teaches at a particular school or anything in Berlin?

Thanks for the info,
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

ahowle wrote:...Studying in the UK with Bobo is a possiblity, though. I'm a fan of Hilgers as well. Would you happen to know if he teaches at a particular school or anything in Berlin?
Also consider Hans Nickel. I have no idea how good a teacher he is, but he is a wonderful performer with a highly characteristic sound.

According to his bio, he teaches at colleges in Cologne and Detmold, and also teaches tuba the Maastricht Conservatory.

Rick "who thinks Hilgers teaches or taught at the Franz Liszt College of Music in Weimar" Denney
Mark

Post by Mark »

Rick Denney wrote:Also consider Hans Nickel. I have no idea how good a teacher he is, but he is a wonderful performer with a highly characteristic sound.
Slightly veering off topic...

I am so glad that Rick told the folks on this forum about Hans Nickel. I bought two of Nickel's CDs and they are now two of my most favorite.
Steve Oberheu
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Oberheu »

ahowle wrote:Thanks for the info. As far as Switzerland goes, it probably would be better to be in the French-speaking regions, as neither I, nor very many native German speakers can understand Schwyzerdütsch (or Schweizerdeutsch, however you want to look at it), though I would prefer German to French, generally speaking (no pun intended). As far as the degree in the languages go, I've been mainly teaching myself French and German and have skipped several years of study thereby. I plan on studying it in college so that I don't forget it and progress in it, but the real way I plan on learning it well is by living there for half a year!

Studying in the UK with Bobo is a possiblity, though. I'm a fan of Hilgers as well. Would you happen to know if he teaches at a particular school or anything in Berlin?

Thanks for the info,
Yes, the frequent joke is that Schweizer Deutsch is not a dialect, but a speech impediment! Or, so it goes amongst the Hoch Deutsch.

I'm not sure where Hilgers teaches exactly. Drop me an e-mail and I'll be glad to put you in touch with someone who does know.

That's great that you're teaching yourself the languages on your own! All you need now is someone to speak them to!

Steve Oberheu
ahowle
bugler
bugler

Post by ahowle »

Hehe, most germans and austrians I know say it's easier to understand Dutch - a completely different from, though similar language to german - than it is to understand Schweizerdeutsch. And the way I got to learn most grammar was by having several native-german-speaker friends to whom I would send emails and talk on AIM, who would correct my German whenever I made mistakes and stuff. I know easily enough grammar to be fluent in both German and French (though I'm beginning to forget it since I haven't used it as much lately!), but I'm just not good enough with the listening comprehension and prononciation in French, and I don't have a big enough vocabulary in either language. While I do need to just memorize more vocabulary (which I have been doing by reading French and German newspapers), I'm about at the point at which I need to just go over there and submerse myself in it, and I'll probably become fluent in a matter of weeks/months.

Anyway, thanks, I'll send you an email.
ahowle
bugler
bugler

Post by ahowle »

Probably "Hochschule" which basically means "College." Thanks
Last edited by ahowle on Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahowle
bugler
bugler

Post by ahowle »

bloke wrote:...of roept hem aan de telefoon. :o
I never knew you spoke Dutch Mr. S......*coughcoughfreetranslation.comcoughcough* ... and how would I call him anyway? I don't know his number...

8)
ahowle
bugler
bugler

Post by ahowle »

Ahh, nice...I didn't know that. Thats cool. The only reason I understood it is because it's so similar to German. Thanks, for the link,