Buying a used tuba for a foreign country

The bulk of the musical talk
Chen
3 valves
3 valves

Buying a used tuba for a foreign country

Post by Chen »

My question regarding this matter is the tax situation. Do I have to pay tax, if so, to who and how, when I have a used tuba shipped to me from a foreign country? If the tuba is taxable, do they tax according to the new instrument value or the receipt value?

thanks for the help!
Chen
3 valves
3 valves

also...

Post by Chen »

also...are there things that I should be aware of when I buy a used tuba from another country? Other than making sure that it is a good tuba..

thanks again!
Gorilla Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Gorilla Tuba »

I bought a used helicon in F from a used instrument store in Prague in 1991. I bought it for pennies on the dollar. When I got to the border, I had to pay a 300% export tax. I am sure that since their currency has stabilized (somewhat) it isn't as bad.

Many items have a Value Added Tax built into the price which can be refunded at the border. In short, there may be ways around it, but you are supposed to pay export taxes from most countries, and there are some taxes that can be refunded.

My experiences are limited to a few European countries, so it would be wise to contact customs to be sure.
A. Douglas Whitten
Associate Director of Bands
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
Pittsburg State University
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Shipping may be an issue, if you don't fetch the instrument yourself.

Not all carriers will allow you to insure musical instrument at full value.

Bax Global will.

And their handling of my 4 trans-Atlantic imports of large brasses has not lead to any needs for insurance claims. Which may be even better.

Klaus