Craig Knox's Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Craig Knox's Tuba

Post by Tubadork »

Hey,
I noticed on the picture to one of the Center City Brass Quintet CD's that Craig Knox has a Kick or plunger or something on the main tuning slide of his PT6. Does anyone know if you can buy a kit for it or if that is custom work? Does it only go in one direction (ie. just in or just out) Euph kicks usually only go out (I think). I'm getting to the point that I get annoyed fighting intonation on my CC (and F for that matter) and have been toying with the idea of getting some sort of plunger or something so that I can make corrections with reaching all over the horn or lipping things all over the place. Any info on Mr. Knox's horn, experiences, insights, warnings etc would be appreciated.
With respect,
Bill Pritchard
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

Hey Robert,
so far I can't find a brass repair shop in Seoul (gosh, I hope I don't break anything). But if you show the Koreans anything, they can duplicate it. I miss playing with you in the Georgia Brass Band (did the cd ever get finished?)
See ya,
Bill Pritchard
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
Jobey Wilson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jobey Wilson »

Jim Becker at Osmun Brass (Arlington, MA) fabricated an incredible main tuning silde kicker for my old Alex CC attatched to a thumb lever (obviously, my Alex has only 4 valves), and cleaned up the dings in her. It was quite expensive, but Jim's work is simply amazing. I bought my Alex from Lee Hipp around 1996 or so, and he would die if he saw how beautiful my horn is now! Lee, if you're out there, send me an e-mail and I'll send you some pictures of your old baby...she looks like she just came out of the factory (of course, still with the raspy, unlaquered flavor!)
Joseph "Jobey" Wilson, DMA
Pittsburg State University
www.pittstate.edu/music/
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.