Jinbao tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
Dean E
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Jinbao tubas

Post by Dean E »

Bean wrote:. . . . when I go from a low Bb to a C, there is barely a change in pitch.
I hope your question is legitimate and not merely a troll.

What does it sound like when you play chromatically from Bb to B natural to C natural? I use a Korg tuner (about $20 on ebay) to check out my horns' intonation.

I would brush up on a fingering chart, also.
http://www.chisham.com/tips/fingerings/BBb.html

If the horn is unfit for its intended use, your state's version of the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) provides warranty rights.
Dean E
[S]tudy politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy . . . in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry [and] music. . . . John Adams (1780)
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

They have a fairly bad reputation for build quality and playability, however one of the players who sits next to me in one of the bands I'm in plays on one, and seems to sound ok. It doesn't have the fullest sound, but that could be him. I haven't played it so can't provide a first hand account, but he seems to like it well enough in the conversations I have had with him about it. Intonation doesn't seem too bad, but with 4 or 5 of us playing at a time it's hard to tell where the problem is, if there is one. It has accumulated more than its share of dents for its age, but then he doesn't have a case or gig bag for it.

Of course every instrument is different, especially from these manufacturers who don't have a reputation for quality, so there could be problems with you specific horn causing the effect you describe. Does it play differently when you use 1+3 for the C vs. the 4th valve? If not, it seems unlikely that it is the horn. Keep practicing, check with a tuner periodically, and see if intonation improves.

My general response to someone considering one of these is that they would be better off going to one of the reputable dealers, like Dillon Music or Baltimore Brass, and buying a good used tuba, even if it only has 3 valves, rather than getting these cheapo Chinese horns. The Chinese are getting much better at making tubas and there are already horns made in China for other companies that are decent players. I expect them to be quite competitive in the not too distant future.
Tuba-G Bass
bugler
bugler

Jinbao Tuba's

Post by Tuba-G Bass »

I bought a Songlin 4 Valve Rotary Tuba, It was labeled
M&M USA. Also Chinese made.

I found to my ear the C above low Bb was better
as 4th valve only, but since you only have the 3 valves, it doesn't help much. I still need to test it with the
Korg tuner I bought, but I have played it for three concerts, three rehearsels and also at the three day International Trombone and Brass Festival in Bethlehem PA, commemorating the
250th Anniversary of the Bethlehem Moravian Trombone Choir.

So far no real complaints, it has held its own with
Meinl Westons, a Pat Sheridan Besson Eb, and Kings, Conns,
and a 4 valve Walter Sear.

I am using a Bach 7 Megatone mouthpiece,
at the Brass Festival,
Our guest conductor was Jeffery Reynolds, Bass Trombonist
of the LA Philharmonic,
if it had been a dud horn, he would have heard it.

I was also playing Bass Trombone for certain songs.
For the festival, Jeff leant me his Custom Conn 62H with his brand mouthpiece, what a 'bone! :shock: :mrgreen:

If you only just started playing again, give it some time.

Cheers,

Paul Lewis

Conn 72H Bass Trombone
Bethlehem Moravian Church
Trombone Choir
Founded 1754

SongLin 4V BBb Tuba
Bethlehem Municipal Band

Keefer / Reynolds BBb Sousaphone
Allentown Hobo Almost Marching Band
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

I have a possible solution to your Bb-C problem. Since you haven't played in a long time and don't have a tuner, is there any chance you are actually playing an F? 1-3 is an alternate fingering for the open F. See if you can get to a piano or other fixed pitch instrument to verify that it is in fact a Bb. If so, do everything within your power to return the horn. If it is the F, just "relax" your chops more and try to slur down to the low Bb. Many beginners have a hard time playing a note this low their first few weeks on tuba.