To Techs: Will Brass Polish Hurt Lacquer?

The bulk of the musical talk
Alex Reeder
bugler
bugler

To Techs: Will Brass Polish Hurt Lacquer?

Post by Alex Reeder »

This question is half for me and half for my friend who plays the saxophone. I have a tuba with most parts lacquered brass and some raw brass. Should I worry about getting the brass polish on the lacquer?

Also, my friend has an old saxophone with most of the lacquer worn off. He saw me polishing my tuba and I suggested he could use my brass polish to clean up his sax. Would this be OK, or would it wear away what little lacquer he has left?
Getzen G50 w/ York Monster EEb bell
Meinl Weston 2182
PT6P
Eastman School of Music Class of 2008
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: To Techs: Will Brass Polish Hurt Lacquer?

Post by Rick Denney »

Alex Reeder wrote:This question is half for me and half for my friend who plays the saxophone. I have a tuba with most parts lacquered brass and some raw brass. Should I worry about getting the brass polish on the lacquer?
No repair tech me, but I have used NevrDull on my Holton's bare patches without any apparent effect on the remaining lacquer. NevrDull is a chemical tarnish remover and a very mild polish in a cotton wadding. Buffing with a more aggressive compound--and even rouge--will indeed work through the lacquer.

Rick "figuring the Holton lacquer is probably as fragile as any" Denney
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Most (not all) brass polishes contain a mild abrasive. I'll use Simichrome, Wenol, or Noxon to polish raw brass areas on my horns but I try to keep from rubbing around on the lacquer very much. I know it's just a matter of time before all the lacquer is gone, but why accellerate the wear process? As far as using brass polishes on saxophones goes... I would apply the same theory except absolutely avoid getting any foreign substances on the pads.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

But, do any of the brass polishes harm lacquer in a chemical sense?
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Leland wrote:But, do any of the brass polishes harm lacquer in a chemical sense?
You're probably safe with the water-based polishes, but I'd wonder if the stoddard solvent in Brasso might not degrade some lacquers.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Brass polish removes lacquer. If you are polishing a lacquer horn, you are polishing lacquer, not brass. The brass is beneath the lacquer being polished. Use a non ammonia glass cleaner instead.
sean chisham
phoenix
3 valves
3 valves

Post by phoenix »

I used Pledge on my laquer horn for about 6-7 years before I bought a silver one. I works just fine and like it was said a couple lines above, "Oh, so lemony fresh." But the poster is right, it is a little slippery if it is over used.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Leland wrote:But, do any of the brass polishes harm lacquer in a chemical sense?
Lacquers come in several forms. Modern epoxy lacquers are very resistant to solvents. Who knows about some of the older finishes. I've stripped lots of horns and some of the older lacquers can be a real bear to remove.... especially the ones Conn and King used. That's not to say that even slight rubbing will remove the lacquer over time. I think the best policy is to avoid polishing lacquer with anything except perhaps a very good grade of NON ABRASIVE wax. I use Pledge on my lacquered Mirafone, and after over 30 years, the finish is still very nice. I've tried some of the better automotive polishes that contain polymers but no abrasives with some success. But again.... the less you rub on lacquer, the longer the lacquer is going to last. And finally... ALWAYS use only soft cotton rags on lacquer.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

TubeNet wrote:Brass polish removes lacquer. If you are polishing a lacquer horn, you are polishing lacquer, not brass. The brass is beneath the lacquer being polished. Use a non ammonia glass cleaner instead.
Of course, but I think the request was from someone with bare spots who wanted to know if they could polish the bare spots without damaging the surrounding brass. The answer seems to be a qualified yes, but the stronger the brass polish (either chemical or abrasive) the quicker the damage to the lacquer.

Rick "whose lacquered tubas almost all have bare spots" Denney