Cut Horn Intonation

The bulk of the musical talk
arnuphal
bugler
bugler

Cut Horn Intonation

Post by arnuphal »

For all of you equipment modification/repair experts out there:

What can be done to help the intonation tendancies of a cut 6/4 York? Are there many options, or does that simply depend on the individual instrument?

Thanks
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Cut Horn Intonation

Post by Chuck(G) »

arnuphal wrote:For all of you equipment modification/repair experts out there:

What can be done to help the intonation tendancies of a cut 6/4 York? Are there many options, or does that simply depend on the individual instrument?
Thanks
A lot depends on who is doing the cutting and how the cutting is done. It's not a matter of simply finding 2 feet of tubing to conveniently whack out of the bugle .

There are some carefully-done modifications that exhibit intonation rivaling or exceeding most production CC's. OTOH, there are the dogs that invite you to invent a completely new fingering system for them...
arnuphal
bugler
bugler

Post by arnuphal »

Well, I'm looking for options on a horn that has already been cut by Rusk. Is there anything I can do, or am I stuck with it as is?
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Sam Gnagey »

Sorry to hear of your plight. What are the specific problem notes and tendencies? You probably have an unworkably flat bottom line open G. That is almost a given with these horns. Beyond that what is there to deal with? Perhaps with some retapereing/replacing of branches there could be some moderate improvement. These horns have great sound on some notes but can be very inconsistent with foggy note scattered throughout the scale. That's why I don't like to mess with them. Is this one something that was done recently? Have you talked to Bob about the problems?