Peterson V-SAM Tuner

The bulk of the musical talk
chhite

Peterson V-SAM Tuner

Post by chhite »

Does anyone have any reviews or experience with this new tuner? It seems to have several low-end friendly features that would set it above others. Maybe Roger Lewis or another dealer has gotten some time with this model :?:
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

FWIW, the Korg OT-12 has many high end features at a much lower cost. I have had one for about 2 months and love the sound back feature -- plug in a mic and play a tone, the tuner then plays the "correct" pitch and you use your EAR and not just your eyes to match it. Plus, its nice having the accuracy of an analog needle again not found on most tuners anymore.

http://www.wwbw.com/Korg-OT12-Orchestra ... 9505.music
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
chhite

Post by chhite »

Marty, hope you're doing well. Are you still attending Lee? I've had great success with my Korg AT-1. It has an analog needle, five-octave tone generator, and I've gotten my money's worth out of it for 14 years. The features I was noticing on the Peterson was, first, the portability of a strobe tuner that shows the overtone series for each pitch, and second, the "bass shift" that enhances the ability to properly tune the bass instruments. I double on bass and often give lessons/master classes and the virtual strobe seems to be the way to go, given the innacuracies of the pocket digital tuners. Often the tuner housing vibrates a resultant frequency and gives false readings or the background noise makes it near impossible to even register a pitch. It is an expensive tuner, for a portable one, but if it replaces the larger table-top models that run several hundred more, then it may be worth it.

My $0.02
Chris
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Yep, still at Lee U. Got another year until the unleash me full time on the public school system. I had a problem with background noise now and then, and on 1 tuba, a resultant frequency problem (maybe something about the overtones on it?) and found a $10.00 clip on mic works to fix both. The Peterson looks pretty interesting, just a little out of my price range. My school has a big Peterson 1 wheel strobe and I don't like it -- sometimes you can stop the wheel with a harmonic - the pitch is actually substantially off. They may have a pocket one somewhere, last year I saw a clarinetist with it but she could not figure out how to use it. Sometimes there are the old 13 wheel ones on ebay - would love to have one of those for the heck of it.
Hopefully someone who owns one of the new pocket Petersons can can chime in soon.