MW 2000's

The bulk of the musical talk
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Re: MW 2000's

Post by WoodSheddin »

Brit wrote: What are the 2000's main strengths?
Great intonation over the vast majority of the horn.
Ergonomics that work!!!
Easy/even response all over.
Rings well in a hall.
No surprises.
Interesting to listen to.

I have played on a few 2155's and none of them were as pleasant to listen to and play as my 2000. The 2155's are the same basic layout and design, but have a lot of extra bracing in place to try to deaden the tuba. The 2000's are hand made and go the exact opposite route with a lighter horn which is meant to ring. At least that is my laymans take on it all.

Both my previous CC tubas were purchased site unseen. I will NEVER do that again, no matter what brand they are. I tried out I think 3 or 4 from Baltimore Brass, they are local to me, and found one of the 2000's there to be a lesser horn and passed it up fast. The others were very close. I finally could not really decide between the two so I bought the one which the guys there thought was the better horn. Excellent buying experience, in all. I should have bartered on the price, but I whimped out.

This horn makes playing fun again because it is always easy to play on and does not fight me. If I suck, then that comes out the bell. If my chops are in decent shape, then that comes out the bell.

I am pleased as punch with mine and sold off my Yorkbrunner to get it. Granted, I really had no business owning a Yorkbrunner in the first place.
sean chisham
Jonathan Fowler
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jonathan Fowler »

Like Sean, I also sold my Yorkbrunner recently and was faced with either the 2155 or 2000 to buy. After playing a bunch of horns at Dillon's and Baltimore brass I decided to go with the 2155. As it turned out both MW 2000s were not as even througout as the 2155 and cost 4000 more. While the difference was not extraordinary, the 2000 (for me personally) was not worth another 4000. Had some of the Mw 2000s been in the Baltimore shop in October that were there last summer I might be singing a different tune...

jon