Curious about BBC's MW25 offer

The bulk of the musical talk
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Curious about BBC's MW25 offer

Post by Alex F »

I'm sure many of you have noticed the 15 MW 25s being offered by BBC for $3995. This is $1k less than WWBW's posted price. What's up with MW? Are they dropping or changing this model or is it not selling? Everything I have heard on this forum indicates that this is a quality horn although some describe it as a bit "stuffy".

Just curious. I have no connection with BBC or MW or anyone or anything else.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

I have heard that due to the popularity of the 195/Fafner model, the model 25's aren't moving as well, and M-W expects to sell fewer 25's in the future. For this reason they are trying to move the model 25s that they have. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's what I heard.

It seems to me to be a good opportunity to get a very well made BBb tuba at a very reasonable price. I never personally liked the model 25s that I have played, but others love them.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

bloke wrote:
What's up with MW?

Why not email or phone Melton/Meinl-Weston (Mr. Gerhard Meinl), the Baltimore Brass Company (Mr. Dave Fedderly), or The Brasswind (Mr. Roger Lewis)?

Wouldn't they be able to answer this question better than a bunch of amateur tuba players who are screwing around on their computers when they're supposed to be working?
Good point. OTOH, I'm screwing around on my company's time, although we have a Summer Friday afternoon off policy. You're wasting your own entrepreneurial time. Shouldn't you be overhauling a trumpet to sell? :wink:
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Alex F »

The "inquirer" feels that he is sufficiently competent to evaluate the responses to his post. In the course of the months I have followed this forum, I have formed my own calculus as to how much weight should be given to any specific poster. Some comments are worth their weight in gold. Others . . . well let's just say they get a very quick read.

If you maintain a web-site and put information out there for public consumption, its fair game for comment or discussion.

and Mr. Bloke, how do you know that I have not contacted individuals directly regarding this question???
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

I'm picking over this Marzan tuba http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3739539129 to make sure it exceeds its description....
Put another way, the big 19 inch bell on this Marzan tuba offers a broad “Americanâ€
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

Joe,
I can relate with being kinda grumpy at this time of year (marching baritones, trombones, sousaphones, inquiries about repairing "First Act" instruments - shudder), but there is an easier way to vent than verbally machine-gunning down the guy from Chicago who's fishing for gossip about BBC and the M-W 25 sale. Just go in the shop and find one of those wretched marching french horn thingies or a student oboe that no one will ever miss, take it out and back your car/van/truck over it a few times, put it on the grill, cover it in lighter fluid and torch it. While watching it burn, have some bratwurst, beer and potato salad, and you'll feel great in no time ;^)
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

Lee Stofer wrote: Just go in the shop and find one of those wretched marching french horn thingies or a student oboe that no one will ever miss, take it out and back your car/van/truck over it a few times, put it on the grill, cover it in lighter fluid and torch it. While watching it burn, have some bratwurst, beer and potato salad, and you'll feel great in no time ;^)
Now why can't I do this more often? :(
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

A very good friend of mine called the slant-rotor models the "carpal tunnel horns". :)