Mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
SFAtuba
bugler
bugler

Mouthpiece

Post by SFAtuba »

Hey I am looking into buying a new mouthpiece, right now i am playing on a pt-50, and i would like to keep the same rim size but get a different cup. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions onsome good mouthpieces.

Thanks
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Mouthpiece

Post by Billy M. »

SFAtuba wrote:Hey I am looking into buying a new mouthpiece, right now i am playing on a pt-50, and i would like to keep the same rim size but get a different cup. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions onsome good mouthpieces.

Thanks

What kind of a cup... something deeper? Something Less deep? Bowl/funnel?!?!?
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
JHardisk
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JHardisk »

Put some serious thought into trying the PT50+ and the PT88/PT88+. I have not been a strong supporter of the "bigger is better", "more metal" approach to mouthpieces, but there is a drastic difference between the regular PT and the "mega" (+) models. Normally, for those who don't like the PT50, the PT88 works well, and vice versa. Good luck in your search!
~John Hardisky
Jonathan Fowler
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jonathan Fowler »

You need to determine how "mouthpiece sensitive" your instrument is. For some the sound will not change much at all whether you play a laskey or a monette, only the feel is altered. Try something heavy and something light.
My own opinion is that the laskey is a safer choice, the monette is $350 and a drastic difference from your pt-50.