Old mouthpieces

The bulk of the musical talk
Kenton
bugler
bugler

Old mouthpieces

Post by Kenton »

I ended up with a bag of old tuba mouthpieces. And, I'm wondering whether any of them are worth anything to collectors. They include:

Imperial - Williamsport, Pa.
Keefer
King 26
Elkhorn - probably the oldest of the bunch.

The last two are pretty dinged up.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

Probably not a lot of value here. The King has been described as a good mouthpiece, but probably not worth a lot, especially if in rough shape. I have an Imperial, that I believe was also made by Keefer. It is a big, heavy, mouthpiece, but nothing of particular value. Which model Keefer do you have? I have a Keefer 7 that I use with my Distin eefer because it is similar to what would have been used with that tuba, and has the right shank. I think I picked it up for about $10.
Kenton
bugler
bugler

Post by Kenton »

Thanks,

Neither the Keefer nor the Imperial have any numbers on them. The King and the Keefer have the same depth and diameter at the cup, the Imperial is slighly smaller on both.

kms
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

By the way, I meant to add a comment about what appears to be an ophicleide in your avitar. Do you have any closer photos? It looks cool from what I can see.
Kenton
bugler
bugler

Post by Kenton »

It is indeed an ophicleide. As to photos, there is one at http://www.wildcatband.com/oph.html, and a picture of a whole keyed band is at http://www.wildcatband.com/keyed.html
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

Very cool site and photos. I would love to have access to just a few of the instruments that have apparently been preserved with this band. They all look like museum pieces. To try to replace even a few of them would cost a fortune.