St. Petersburg / Jupiter Tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

St. Petes have had a lot of feedback in both directions good and bad. My personal experience with them is they're ok horns but nothing great... a Cerveny is a better horn for the same amount of money. As for the Jupiter concert horn, I've heard that after much refining it's a decent horn... nothing spectacular but a good horn nonetheless. Perhaps a little more mouth time on both horns will allow you to have a better perspective, after all, it's your money and you'll be the one playing the horn.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Welcome back to tubadom Michael!

I am glad that I did not plunge directly into buying a new horn when I returned to playing. I don't think there is such a thing as a universal 'one size fits all' tuba. I've managed to collect several used horns that pretty much suit my every need without making a big investment. It's actually pretty easy to sell something you decide you don't like all that much as long as you are careful about how much you pay for it. Maybe one of these days I'll spring for a fancy new horn but for the time being this is a collection that suits me:

1) Carl Wunderlich (old GDR stencil) BBb 4v rotary for indoor concert band and German gigs.
2) Miraphone 183-4 EEb 4v rotary for 'quieter' ensembles.
3) King bell front 4v EEb tuba for Dixieland gigs.
4) Martin 'mammoth' BBb sousa for outdoor concert band gigs.
5) York/Olds frankenhelicon 3v EEb for standing German and Dixie gigs.

I don't think I have $3,000 invested in the lot.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

You would definitely be better off buying a good used tuba made by one of the better known manufacturers from a reputable dealer than buying a St. Petersburg. Check the dealers listed on this site and give them a call to see what used tubas they might recommend. Read anything anyone tells you on a website designed to sell you something with extreme skepticism.

Between the St. Pete and the Jupiter 582, I would take the Jupiter. Older ones have had problems with the valves, but I understand that the quality of the newer ones is much better. The ones I have tried have all played well.

If you are set on a new tuba I would recommend either the VMI 2103 or Cerveny 686 over the St. Pete for about the same price. For a little bit more you could buy a King 2341, or one of the Meinl-Weston model 25's that Baltimore Brass currently has at a special price.

Your best bet is to take a road trip to somewhere where you will be able to try out some tubas, both new and used. The largest selection you are likely to find nearby is at The Brasswind in South Bend, IN, if you can take a 500 mile drive.
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

Currently I have both of the horns that you are looking at the Jupiter and the St Pete. The Jupiter is quite possibly the worst horn i have ever had to play, that might be because my school refuses to get repairs done on its misaligned first valve. But the St Pete is a great horn but, at least on my horn, you have to practice every day or the slides and rotars freeze, and it tends to tarnish really fast. It might be better to find a good used horn like a miraphone or king.

Doug Black
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

For close to the same money, you may also want to expand your options a bit. A King 2341 isn't much more expensive than a St. Pete and is a very decent instrument. If you like rotary valves, take a look at the VMI 2103.
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

Either of the two makes of tuba you mentioned can be made to be reliable, decent-playing instruments with enough work done to them, but for the money, quality and peace of mind, I'd suggest calling Mr. David Fedderly at Baltimore Brass about a Meinl-Weston model 25 BBb. This model has had a good track record for a number of years, and would be much more of a sound investment than some other makes. Properly cared-for, it will last you the rest of your life, that is if you don't live to be more than 150 or so ;^)
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

I have played on both, and would take the Jupiter. The St pete is light and compact, but fragile. It doesn't play badly, but I find the Jupiter to be more comfortable. The only negative comment above about the Jupiter is about one that clearly was damaged, and therefore is not a fair comparison. (St Petes can also be damaged, I think.)
I also played a Jupiter and a King 2341 side by side and preferred the Jupiter in terms of playing characteristics. I found it freer in the low register. But the King is nice and compact, and I could live with it happily.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: St. Petersburg / Jupiter Tubas

Post by Rick Denney »

Michael R. Morningstar wrote:...I want something professional quality but I'm scared by the price of the St. Pete. I like the saying "too good to be true". Has anyone played a St. Pete or the concert Jupiter model? To what do they compare? Also, leaning towards rotary but haven't decided yet. What do you all prefer? Thanks everyone!
The St. Petersburg was a good buy when you could get them for under $1500 from Europe. They were the sorts of things grownups might buy, knowing they'll have to tinker with them and treat them with extra care. The examples I've played did so pretty nicely, at least compared to my expectations. But I think they are dramatically overpriced at current levels compared to better alternatives.

The Jupiter is competent and a good buy.

Neither is anything like a "professional" tuba, in my opinion. They don't have the durability or repairability of other choices.

Personally, I'd buy a used Miraphone 186 in a heartbeat over any of the choices in the under-$3000 price range. The sound is good, the intonation excellent, repair parts are available, and so are repair technicians who have seen them. Plus, as you progress in your return to playing, you won't lose anything if you decided to sell the Miraphone and go in a different direction. The Miraphone is, in my opinion, the supreme comeback instrument.

If you decide on a piston tuba and still can't spend more than $3000, go on a search for a used King 1241 with an upright bell. It's the older version of the King 2341 (which is itself the older detachable-bell version of the current 2341). I've come to the conclusion that the old Kings outplay the newer ones. The newest 2341's are better still, but more expensive because they are not generally available used.

Rick "who has owned Cervenys, VMI's, and other recommended low-price instruments, but who still owns the Miraphone they could not replace" Denney
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

PhilW. wrote:I wouldn't consider a VMI to be a low-price instrument. I don't own it, but I have played both a lot, and I would take a VMI 2103 over a new 186 anyday. For a cheap new instrument, I would try the Allora AA191. I haven't heard it, but the tuba that it copies is very good (Miraphone 191)
The VMI that I owned cost about two-thirds of the price of a Miraphone 186 at the time I bought it, and I bought it as a new demonstrator. And I've seen 2103's and their clones for prices right around $3000 new. I would call that pricing pretty low, but I agree that they are not made too cheaply and represent a good value.

I had my Miraphone overhauled after buying the VMI (it was a stencil, but still a VMI), with the intention of selling the Miraphone. After the overhaul, however, it was the VMI that I sold. It was a good tuba, but in this case the Miraphone was better for me.

Rick "knowing that everyone has their a different definition of low price" Denney