Crazy Train- For Low Brass?

The bulk of the musical talk
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Crazy Train- For Low Brass?

Post by dopey »

After hearing Crazy train by only tubas from wisconsins band, i and several others from our low brass section has decided we wanna do this! however not just tubas, Tubas Trombones and maybe baritones.. We have 4 tubas, 4 baritones, and 8 trombones..

Any suggestion which arrangement we get? I am assuming I will have to transpose parts in finale to different instruments but which one would be more friendly to this? My goal is to just take say 1st trumpet, and rewrite to like 1st trombone etc.. till all essential parts are covered.

Any suggestions on which pieces? Im lookin at jwpepper now, but I really dont' know which one would be the best idea, we are planning on ordering the piece, then rewriting it and meeting on our own to learn it. if for nothing else for fun, but we plan on playing it in the stands if we can!

Thanks in advance guys,

Jacob

P.S. if anyone knows of a tuba only, or low brass only version and can direct me to get it i'd be appreciative! but if not, i have finale and will be fine with transposing parts appropiately.
neil
pro musician
pro musician

Post by neil »

I believe Greg Fritze has an arrangement, you might want to contact him.
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

does he have a account on here? if so could you tell me his username so i may contact him.

Thanks,

Jacob
neil
pro musician
pro musician

Post by neil »

Sent you a PM with his address.
tubajoe
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubajoe »

Ozzy Rules! (Shaaarrrrron!!)

Heh...

My advice -- make up your own arrangement – the song is not that hard (except for Randy Rhodes’ virtuosic licks and solo) Get creative and make an arrangement that is YOURS. Not only will it be unique to you, but by going through that process, you will indeed OWN the tune.

Once upon a time, I ended a recital with an arrangement of Rush's YYZ for 3 euphs, 2 tubas and drumset… it was more notes than the rest of the recital together…

Get creative with it – we all know that the tuba is ruthlessly underutilized and can play any type of music you want it to – but do avoid the campyness – do it for the music, not for the schtick. Regardless of what type of music you are playing, approach it just as seriously as if you were playing Wagner or Hindemith.

peace

joe