Cerveny AHL 6314 BBb Helicon

The bulk of the musical talk
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

I tried one a couple of years ago. I found it to be very free blowing and it had a nice, full sound. It's a little more "focused" sound than on a 20K sousaphone, more like a King 1250/2350. I think that it played similar to the Cerveny 601, but it's a lot easier to handle. I don't remember any particular intonation issues. I do remember thinking that it would be a fun horn to use for dixieland, or any standing gigs, and was tempted to buy it, but didn't have the $$.

I'm pretty big and found it comfortable to hold, although you do have to get used to the bell pointing in what at first seems to be an add direction.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Cerveny Helicon

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gravid
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Gravid »

Played one for a couple of years in the USAF Band of the West (dixie band). Though it has quick response, the brass is VERY thin and the intonation was awful. Lots of dents and lots of alternate fingerings and/or slide manipulation. Also, as others have mentioned, we had to get a custom case built (expensive).
iattp
bugler
bugler

Re: Cerveny AHL 6314 BBb Helicon

Post by iattp »

So, I know this post is OLD, but I figured I'd weigh in. I've acquired a giant Cerveny BBb 4 valve Helicon. I bought it in Serbia last summer for a whopping €500. It plays great, huge sound, impossible to transport on the busses here in Northern Macedonia, but a lot of fun to play. I use it with a few Roma bands and with the city band of Štip. No REAL intonation issues, no thin brass at all (I think this is from pre WWII), and heavy as hell. It needs some solder work, and sadly, there aren't any decent techs in MK. Nevertheless, it's being held together with zip ties and love.

If anyone really wants one, Uwe Schneider at tubashop.de (I think that's the address) keeps a nice rolling stock of helicons.
Červeny Bb helicon - Brandon
Ultratone P-R - Blatmobile
Eb tuba - Commander Riker
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

iattp wrote:So, I know this post is OLD, but I figured I'd weigh in. I've acquired a giant Cerveny BBb 4 valve Helicon. I bought it in Serbia last summer for a whopping €500. It plays great, huge sound, impossible to transport on the busses here in Northern Macedonia, but a lot of fun to play. I use it with a few Roma bands and with the city band of Štip. No REAL intonation issues, no thin brass at all (I think this is from pre WWII), and heavy as hell. It needs some solder work, and sadly, there aren't any decent techs in MK. Nevertheless, it's being held together with zip ties and love.

If anyone really wants one, Uwe Schneider at tubashop.de (I think that's the address) keeps a nice rolling stock of helicons.
In the USA, Baltimore Brass has one available for approx. $4K USD.
iattp
bugler
bugler

Post by iattp »

Oy vey! $4000 is a hefty price for a used one! There's a guy in Germany who sells them cheaper. Sure, you've got to get it shipped, but why not just plan a trip to Germany and go home with a tuba?!?! It may end up being 4000, but hey, you went to Germany! And you got to meet Uwe and see the heavenly collection of tubas. I've yet to go.... I'm still in Macedonia.
Červeny Bb helicon - Brandon
Ultratone P-R - Blatmobile
Eb tuba - Commander Riker