Al Jaffe

The bulk of the musical talk
Daryl Fletcher
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Daryl Fletcher »

Here: http://www.sftradjazz.org/129.html

The same picture, in color, is on an old record I have of theirs.

This is the record: http://www.preservationhall.com/band/vol_2.html
Tom Holtz
Push Button Make Sound
Push Button Make Sound

Post by Tom Holtz »

Check out that kickin' helicon. A.J. was the man. Wasn't he playing in the Olympia Brass Band when they were featured in the opening sequence of the James Bond movie "Live And Let Die?" I've always figured it had to be him.
ArnoldGottlieb
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ArnoldGottlieb »

Is that an EEb or a BBb helicon. I've always wondered. Thanks. ASG
randy westmoreland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by randy westmoreland »

I have the LP of that album in the picture, I MUST get my turntable going, I loved that LP.
I saw ghost riders in the sky, and they each played a York EEb tuba.
Instructor of tuba and euphonium, Alma College
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

As I recall it was an Eb Helicon. Preservation Hall came and played at my small college back in 1976. After the concert we took the band over to the tiny college union for some food. Those old guys were not only fabulous musicians, but really great folks. They were dead beat, but still stayed up for another couple hours talking with us about music/life. I got all of them to sign several albums for all my relatives. Alan really had his hands full not only playing, but managing the band. Can you imagine the effort involved dealing with a touring group made up of 70 and 80 year olds who play an amazing amount of gigs out on the road. Al left us much to soon.

MJI
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

Alan had two Buescher BBb helicons. The one he used on the road had 4 pistons and was somewhat battered when we shared the stage in Hartford some years ago. Somwhere I have a photo of the two of us with our helicons. Although I had grafted a different valve section onto mine, Alan was able to see instantly that mine had originally had 3 valves.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Art,

What did you use for the new 4 valve section? Are Buescher helicons of this vintage considered to be good horns? I have one (an Eb) currently being rebuilt, but I have no idea how it plays as I picked it up at a garage sale in unplayable (but way too cheap to pass up) condition.

I'm hoping it plays as well as my 1918 Monster BBb Conn Helicon which is an awesome horn outside of a couple of intonation issues.

Thx,

MJI
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Al Jaffee

Post by Alex C »

About four years ago I met a lady at a tuba quartet gig who said she was Al Jaffe's neice. She told me that Al had died. I don't remember if I saw it anywhere else but I believe it to be true.