Removing 5th valve

The bulk of the musical talk
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Given that the 5th valve on the 2165 is after the piston valve cluster, it probably wouldn't make a great big difference--and would certainly detract from the value of the horn should you decide to re-sell it.

And it'll cost ya money to have it removed...
Mark

Re: Removing 5th valve

Post by Mark »

wnazzaro wrote:I have a Meinl-Weston 2165 (4+1 piston + rotary). I am thinking about having the 5th valve removed. What differences do you think this will make, besides the obvious fact that I will no longer be able to use the 5th valve?
I don't know how it will affect playability, but I definitely think it will lower the tuba's resale value.
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

Just curious, why remove it?
chhite

Post by chhite »

Have you considered options other than removing the fifth, such as putting on a different leadpipe from a MW 2000 or checking valve alignment on both the pistons and rotor. Not sure of your playing level, and most assuredly not assuming you're clueless, just throwing out a couple of ideas. BTW, does your horn have the tone ring. If so, take that out, too. I had all three done to ours and the horn sings and the intonation has been improved significantly.
ThomasP
3 valves
3 valves

Never thought of the kazoo resemblence

Post by ThomasP »

I played a 2165 a while back and knew I didn't like it for some reason, and now that you mentioned it likened to playing like a kazoo, I said in my head "that's exactly right". To me the horn was just entirely too loose, not much center. Just so you know its not cause its a big horn and me not being used to it, I play a Willson 3050 with an MF3, pretty big equipment!
Thomas Peacock
Huttl for life
Schilke 66
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

If yo do take it off I would be intersted in buying the valve. I am looking for one to put on a horn .

ken k
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Don Butterfield was quite well known for having 4th valves removed from his axes. No fooling! :?
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

X?
Last edited by imperialbari on Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.