Vintage Eb tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
Steve Inman
4 valves
4 valves

Vintage Eb tubas

Post by Steve Inman »

I've noticed BIG, old Eb tubas from time to time. Are there particular models that tend to be "better" than others? Define "better" however you choose when answering. Intonation (even scale) is what would be high on my list, but open low register, good false tones (esp. for 3V), others? could be considered.

In the BIG category (bell diameter > 19 inches) I've seen: H.N. White "King", Conn, Holton, York. Are there others? Which model(s) do you recommend and why?

Thanks,
Steve Inman
Yamaha YEB-381 Eb
Conn 56J CC
Willson-Marzan CC Solo Model
Kokomo Chamber Brass
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Vintage Eb tubas

Post by Dan Schultz »

Steve Inman wrote:In the BIG category (bell diameter > 19 inches) I've seen: H.N. White "King", Conn, Holton, York. Are there others? Which model(s) do you recommend and why?Thanks,
Hi Steve!

I've played many big Eb horns and I always come back my King model 1235 bell-front front-action horn. They made the 4V versions but I've never seen one.... So I had Sam Gnagey add a 4th valve to it a few years ago. I just sold my 'spare' 3V King a couple of months ago. Intonation issues are really no more than any other big Eb. The horn has an incredible high/low range. The 1235 has a 22" bell.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

The big King, York and Holton Eb horns all seem to be based on a common design. A King bottom bow and bell will fit a York body and vice-versa (the King has a slightly larger bell flare).

The best vintage Eb tubas in terms of intonation and response to me seem to be the smaller ones (15" or thereabout bells). The Distin and Bohland&Fuchs (and stencils) Ebs seem to be particularly lively.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

Chuck(G) wrote:... The Distin and Bohland&Fuchs (and stencils) Ebs seem to be particularly lively.
Good luck finding either of those though. Also, I have never seen a 4 valve Distin Eb.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Lew wrote:
Chuck(G) wrote:... The Distin and Bohland&Fuchs (and stencils) Ebs seem to be particularly lively.
Good luck finding either of those though. Also, I have never seen a 4 valve Distin Eb.
Distins have shown up on eBay from time to time. The B&F horns are usually seen under the "Tourville" brand--very plain small lettering on the bell with very ornate ferrules and guards. But you're right--I've never seen a 4v Distin (except for modified models) either. An early small Keefer might also be another good possibility. The small Yorks and Holtons aren't too bad either.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

JCRaymo wrote:[
Hi Dan,

I think the King bell front I mentioned in my post is your horn. The one I played belonged at one time to Wayne Jones. I played it when he and I both lived in Indy. Glad to see it made it to a good home.

-Jim
Hi Jim!

My Eb King did indeed at one time belong to Wayne. I bought it from him a couple of years ago and overhauled the valves prior to turning Sam loose with it. I hated to sell the other one than I had but I ran out of room in my tuba corner.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

Looks like there's one of those big York Monsters on the auction site right now. Front action, which is rare, but with a bell that is very rough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Anybody that's gonna play one of these fartknockers should probably should have a hard case to go with it. (Don't be carryin' that fragile vintage tuba 'round in a SACK, ya hear!) Here's one that is brand new and will fit this entire class of instrument per the description (and a fine description it is, too):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3740771256

(However, I think the biggest problem with pitch on these monsters is figuring out which bridge you're going to pitch it off of.) :wink:

Christian
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

Hi all,
I play a perfectly respectable 1910 top action 3v Conn Eb. Predates model numbers but I believe it is the "Giant" size rather than the "Monster" size. The bell measures 17 1/2 inches.
It has a great sound, especially from 0 through 1-2. 1-3 is funky but you get used to it. Excellent fake tones.
The horn is low pitch, made worse by "modern" sized mouthpieces. I think I saw that these horns came with their own "Conn Giant" mouthpieces. Does anyone know what a modern equivalent size would be for one of these?
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Steve Inman wrote:I've noticed BIG, old Eb tubas from time to time. Are there particular models that tend to be "better" than others? Define "better" however you choose when answering. Intonation (even scale) is what would be high on my list, but open low register, good false tones (esp. for 3V), others? could be considered.

In the BIG category (bell diameter > 19 inches) I've seen: H.N. White "King", Conn, Holton, York. Are there others? Which model(s) do you recommend and why?

Thanks,
I test drove a 3-valve York a few years ago that had a huge bell on it; it had a wondrous dark sound but was low pitch and "typical" Eb intonation...flat in the low range and sharp in the high range. It wasn't playable by me. Haven't tried any others; but I have a small Eb McClellen (?) sold to me by Lee Stofer when I was first tuba-investigating, that has the same intonation tendencies. Also a 3-banger, this little guy has just super-fabulous false tones. The old piston tubas seem to have the false tones really well. I didn't know enuf about tubas when trying the York to see if it had false tones or not.

MA
Dean E
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Dean E »

Steve Inman wrote:I've noticed BIG, old Eb tubas from time to time. . . .
I have a 3-valve Eb York Monster (vintage 1914-17) with a 19.5 inch (49.5 cm) diameter bell and an "extra patented slide loop to place it in low pitch, or by bypassing that loop, the horn is in high pitch." The valve tuning slides are marked and calibrated for the proper pull in low pitch, a good thing because there are no water keys and the slides fill up quickly in cool weather.

Apparently, the bells from these York Eb Monsters are sought after for their qualities in BBb horns cut down to CC.

Here's an early ad promoting one of the York Eb Monsters.
Archived pdf file
Source at John Swain's J.W. York Copmpany Research Site
Dean E
[S]tudy politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy . . . in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry [and] music. . . . John Adams (1780)