The bulk of the musical talk

How many of you play jazz?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:32 pm

Total votes: 0

funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Post by funkcicle »

not to be cliche, but I live-breath-sleep-and-drink it. There's a really hot free-jazz scene emerging right now that we'll soon be reading about in textbooks, and a lot of great neo-bop fusion(for lack of a better term) happening all over(MMW, Flecktones, etc).. I can't think of anything more exciting than being a part of that.

There's also a lot of garbage now that jazz has been academised.. elitist attitudes and soul-less technique wizards, bred the same way academic instutions have been breeding their classiscal counterparts for ages(next controversial topic? :wink: ), but I guess that's the trend once something becomes commonplace.. same thing's happening with rock.

"Jazz" is such a broad category.. did you have something particular in mind?
Jeff Miller
bugler
bugler

Let me hear your stuff!!

Post by Jeff Miller »

Hey, I'd be really interested in hearing from anybody out there that plays non-dixie jazz, funk, rock, whatever on the tuba. You can email me by clicking below (somehow...?). I'd love to hear anything that people are up to along these lines.

If anybody wants to check out some of my stuff, you can have a look at my webpage, where I have a bunch of stuff posted. it's http://jeffreykmiller.com

I'd really like to hear any thoughts or comments anyone may have.

Thanks,

Jeff Miller
Teubonium
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Teubonium »

I do big band occasionally, but I do it on trombone.
Teubonium
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Teubonium »

I do big band occasionally, but I do it on trombone.
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Post by funkcicle »

my background is a lot of big-band bass trombone playing balanced with a lot of small combo tuba playing(as the only, or one of two tubas). The combo stuff was everything from dixie-swing to hard bop. Right now I'm primarily a bassist, as I haven't quite figured out how to effectively work the tuba into the fusion style progressive new jazz that interests me most.. of course, that's where my sights are set.[/i]
Shockwave
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Shockwave »

I had a 10 piece brass group before that played mostly jazz charts in which I played an electrified sousaphone or bass trombone for the bass. Playing a good bass part on the tuba is extremely difficult. You have to play crazy leaps and arpeggios for 5 minutes straight with not a single beat of rest while trying to sneak breaths in here and there. The BBb sousaphone was easier to play fast, but the bass trombone had much much cleaner attacks so it was a better bass for jazz. I'm dying to try out amplified Eb tuba since it has clean attacks like bass bone but the speed of valves.

-Eric
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Let me hear your stuff!!

Post by Steve Marcus »

Jeff Miller wrote:If anybody wants to check out some of my stuff, you can have a look at my webpage, where I have a bunch of stuff posted. it's http://jeffreykmiller.com

I'd really like to hear any thoughts or comments anyone may have.

Jeff:

The Urban Street Breakdown and Darren Lloyd's Brass Revue tracks are excellent.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Carroll
4 valves
4 valves

Trombone and Euphonium Jazz

Post by Carroll »

I play in a big band (only bone) and in a combo. When the trumpet player uses his flugel... I use my euph.
fsgazda
bugler
bugler

Post by fsgazda »

Jeff,

That's some great stuff on your website. I really dig ACAD onn the Brass Revue. There's some cool Didj stuff too. Nice work, keep it going!

Everyone should check this out when you get a chance.

Frank Gazda
Tom Mason
pro musician
pro musician

JAZZ!!!!!!!!!

Post by Tom Mason »

:D

All jazz, all the time. Just wish there were enough opportunities to play in my area.

I play upright, electric and tuba in my groups. Occasionally a bass bone/tuba gig as well. As it is right now, I make enough to pad the savings account and pay the credit cards.

Tom Mason
Stefan Kac
bugler
bugler

Post by Stefan Kac »

I play just about everything, including dixie, bop, post-bop, free, big band, etc. I just started learning bass bone hoping to eventually have more opportunities to play with big bands, but my area of specialization will always be "straight ahead" combo playing on tuba.
IkeH
bugler
bugler

Post by IkeH »

I guess I'm primarily a jazz player but enjoy doing lots of different styles, and it pays the bills. I do a trad gig on the road(Titan Hot 7, to those who know the festivals)but play st. bass mostly on that one. Just started doing the Crystal Gayle show(pop/country), doubling on electric and upright. The tuba stuff is mostly quintet gigs in town and the occasional dixie thing, but mostly bass work. I enjoy tuba, but not the type of stuff where it's glued to my face for a whole tune.
Ike Harris
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Nasty 9

Post by ken k »

We just started the Nasty 9.

New Orleans style brass band: 2 trumpets, 2 saxes (bari and whatever), 2 bones, tuba and drums. I know that is only 8 but hey sometimes we have a vocalist sometimes a guitarist sometimes another bass player. It is still evolving. The Dirty Dozen doesn't have 12 so there....

We do a little bit of everything from dixie to straight ahead to New Orleans 2nd line to whatever.

Fun stuff

ken k
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Yes, I do

Post by GC »

I play big band 2-3 times a month on average, but I play it on bass guitar. We play traditional big band, standards, rock, pop, beach, R & B, country, and other "general music" stuff.
Mark E. Chachich
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

I used to play a fair amount of jazz (professionally) in the 1970s and 1980s. Most was on tuba and most was dixieland.

Mark
Mark E. Chachich, Ph.D.
Principal Tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Life Member, Musicians' Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, A.F.M., Local 40-543
Life Member, ITEA
tubajoe
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubajoe »

Hmmm "Jazz"... broad classification....

I suppose some of what I do could be considered "jazz", but I think you should play whatever you want to... follow what you are -- not what any historical or academic traditions say you "should". I totally dig improvisation, but I dont dig compulsory requirements. I really feel that generally, the tuba has yet to evolve and define its role, especially when it comes to "jazz".

Jazz is definitely part of what I am and do, but so is rock and funk... but improvisation is everything. There is something wonderful about creating something in the moment and spontaneous -- based on the energy and interaction with the other musicians as well as the crowd; to create something that was not there before. That is where its at!

peace
8)