Musician's Union

The bulk of the musical talk
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Musicians' Union

Post by TubaRay »

Whether or not being a member of a union would probably depend a great deal on where you are and how powerful the union is. That would be a difficult question to answer without knowing a good deal more information.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Mudman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mudman »

In most states, being in the union won't get you any gigs. TubaRay is right, that some union chapters have more power than others. Some groups only hire union members, depending on the city in which you live. Union or not, contracters still need to know you and your reputation before hiring you.

I'm pretty much anti-union. While the union does help with things like making sure musicians aren't abused, it ends up being one more thing that gets in the way of music making.

Some cons: paying a percentage of the money you make on each gig. Yearly membership dues. Orchestral contract negotiation involving a union lawyer who has contributed to the failure of several orchestras.

Some pros: recording royalties. Union scale on which to base gig payment and contractor fees. Trust-fund jobs (you don't need to be in the union to play on a trust-fund job). The union paper--only useful if you are keeping an eye on orchestral jobs (otherwise it a dull read basically amounting to a PR tabloid.) The union is a place to get instrument insurance and set up a retirement fund.

IMO the musician's union is a thing of the past if you don't live in a major market like New York. In Nashville, the union has some sway, but Tennessee is a "right to work" state. While in Nashville, I did plenty of jobs before joining the union. After joining, I was annoyed to see my paycheck shrink without seeing any benefits.

My $.02.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

union

Post by MaryAnn »

I think the union does have a retirement plan for people who are members long enough.

I've been in the union twice....once to play in Memphis symphony and the second time to play in Albany symphony. Now that I'm in Arizona, a right-to-work state, I haven't needed to be in the union for anything, although I suspect that if I wanted to gig in certain venues, union membership would be an advantage. I don't gig for money any more though.

In Albany, a few decades ago, I made more money on non-union gigs than union scale. But that was playing in bars and rock bands and such.

Mary Ann
MaryAnn

union

Post by MaryAnn »

I think the union does have a retirement plan for people who are members long enough.

I've been in the union twice....once to play in Memphis symphony and the second time to play in Albany symphony. Now that I'm in Arizona, a right-to-work state, I haven't needed to be in the union for anything, although I suspect that if I wanted to gig in certain venues, union membership would be an advantage. I don't gig for money any more though.

In Albany, a few decades ago, I made more money on non-union gigs than union scale. But that was playing in bars and rock bands and such.

Mary Ann
ArnoldGottlieb
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ArnoldGottlieb »

My comment's here are based on living in New York City, and doing this for a living.
Broadway shows, orchestral work, recording are union gigs. They pay well, and pay addition money towards health and pension. After your employer has contributed enough money in a year, you are on the union health plan, and this may be one or many employers. When/if problems arise, there is a contract, and a union of people to help you out. Some small musicals, bar gigs, recording sessions, and many club date's are not union gigs. You'll probably be paid, perhaps in cash or on a 1099. There is no protection, health insurance etc. If you are not paid you can hire your own lawyer, or be angry by yourself. Enough gigs like this and you might want to band together and join your friends and decide that you want health and pension, protection and more money. Perhaps a group will be formed deciding what measures will be taken, what scales will be enforced, buying into a health insurance plan, etc. Luckily for us in the buisness, this group already exists at our musicians union here in NYC. Is it perfect? No. Can you only do union gigs and make a living? Probably not, unless your in a large orchestra or have a long running musical.
Many people will complain about what the union does and in many cases the union has caused problems. There are well known cases of abuse by the unions, and probably lesser known one's also. However this brings me to a point and that is that we are the union. It is not an external thing, but what we make it. I grew up in an area, where a bunch of guys decided that the union needed an overhaul, so they got on the board and overhauled it themselves.
If you play occasional gigs, the union may not be for you. However, since the buisness is about meeting people, meetings are certainly a good place to do that, especially if you are new in town, and I've heard from a lot of people who've found my number in the union book. I'm sure some people on this board will disagree and I look forward to their comments. Peace. ASG