Mistakes in Karl King's 'Kentucky Sunrise'??

The bulk of the musical talk
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Mistakes in Karl King's 'Kentucky Sunrise'??

Post by Dan Schultz »

This concert march is a pretty good low brass workout and some of us are at odds about some possible mistakes in Kentucky Sunrise by Karl King ... arranged by Robert E. Foster. The following text was given to me by one of the trombome players in our community band. Let me know what you think:

Measure 57 (in the Trio) that's a concert Fmaj7 (V7 of V) chord, and so that should be a B-natural (concert A-natural) in the first and third trumpets. If the alto saxes are playing the same thing as the f.horns, then that should be a D for them-- unless he's reinforcing the seventh of the chord by having both saxes play it (very unlikely).

Measure 72 - F-major chord. Missing B-natural in the 3d trumpet, missing F# in the 1st Alto Sax (concert A-natural).

In measures 60 & 61, the band is playing a I chord -- good old E-flat major. So what's the second trombone doing playing an F on the off beats?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I edited the original post and added the arranger's name... Robert E. Foster.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

bloke wrote:Why not ask him?

rfoster@ku.edu
I did. Thanks for the email address.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
ParLawGod
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ParLawGod »

Just curious if you've heard a response?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

ParLawGod wrote:Just curious if you've heard a response?
Yes, I received a very nice response from Mr. Foster. Here is the text of his message... followed by my original questions:

Hi, Dan:

Re: Kentucky Sunrise.

For this edition, not a note of Mr. King's original publication was changed.

We did correct some obvious errors, and cleaned up the editing: articulations, dynamics, style indicators, etc.

Karl King once bragged that he had only had one composition lesson in his life. Perhaps that sometimes becomes obvious.

With this sort of traditional literature, the rule of thumb is, "If it sounds wrong, it probably is."

Don't hesitate to change a note if it obviously does not fit. Then try it. If you don't like it, change it back, and if it sounds better, just leave it.

I hope this helps a little.

Have fun with Kentucky Sunrise.

Bob

On Aug 12, 2004, at 2:11 PM, Dan Schultz wrote:

Mr. Foster,

We have your arrangement of Karl King's 'Kentucky Sunrise' in our library and we play it from time-to-time. One of our trombone players asked me about the following measures in the piece:

(In his words:)

Measure 57 (in the Trio) that's a concert Fmaj7 (V7 of V) chord, and so that should be a B-natural (concert A-natural) in the first and third trumpets. If the alto saxes are playing the same thing as the f.horns, then that should be a D for them-- unless he's reinforcing the seventh of the chord by having both saxes play it (very unlikely).

Measure 72 - F-major chord. Missing B-natural in the 3d trumpet, missing F# in the 1st Alto Sax (concert A-natural).

In measures 60 & 61, the band is playing a I chord -- good old E-flat major. So what's the second trombone doing playing an F on the off beats?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"