Hirsbrunner Valves

The bulk of the musical talk
Cameron Gates
pro musician
pro musician

Hirsbrunner Valves

Post by Cameron Gates »

Has anyone out there ever replaced those plastic-core rotors on HB's? Does Hirsbrunner sell solid brass replacements? Also, I know that some people claim that there is some "hot lap" solution, but I am not interested in it. Anyone have success getting these things replaced? Thanks.

Cameron Gates
GO DUCKS
Mark N.
pro musician
pro musician

Valves

Post by Mark N. »

I don't know if they have changed them or not, but I agree with you about the "lapping" not being an answer. We had the Navy Band's horns lapped and it did nothing to stop the dragging in hot weather. Nothing like working hard to sound good on a tough lick and then have the valves make you sound like a beginner.

Mark
Tom Holtz
Push Button Make Sound
Push Button Make Sound

Post by Tom Holtz »

You should call an instrument repairman in your area and ask them for advice. I'll bet you can only get Hirsbrunner parts from Custom Music in Michigan, so if you know anyone who's tight with those guys, all the better.
scottmendoker
pro musician
pro musician

Post by scottmendoker »

Hey Cameron -

I had one of the early ones with the plastic valves while I was playing in South Africa. The valves were a nightmare because of the heat and the plastic kept breaking down and mucking up the horn. Anyway, Peter,Sr. very graciously took the horn back and replaced the valves with normal ones (as well as remove dents AND replate the tuba!) I never had a problem after that.
I'm sure that Kevin Powers at Custom either has extra sets or can get them for you fairly quickly. Better yet, take a "road trip" to Sumiswald. What a beautiful place!!

Scott Mendoker