TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: "American" vs. "German" tubas

Post by TheTuba »

Doc wrote:
bloke wrote:What about Weril tubas?

I hear there are a brazilian of them !
Pardon me while I pick up the corn after that.

Stop

that was actually pretty good
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Will the tuba return from his trip with an Indian sound?
Free to tuba: good home
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

If a tuba plays in the forest and there's no one around to hear, does it have a German or American sound?

@TheTuba...the King may have been stuffy on some valved notes because the valves were poorly aligned...the Kings don't have a reputation for being stuffy, far from it, they are a classic American tuba which many people like. On another topic, do all funnel shaped mpcs have too much bite? Are you sure you're just not used to the funnel? Most good tuba players can play either type and many do switch between them as needed. :!:
royjohn
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

royjohn wrote:If a tuba plays in the forest and there's no one around to hear, does it have a German or American sound?

@TheTuba...the King may have been stuffy on some valved notes because the valves were poorly aligned...the Kings don't have a reputation for being stuffy, far from it, they are a classic American tuba which many people like. On another topic, do all funnel shaped mpcs have too much bite? Are you sure you're just not used to the funnel? Most good tuba players can play either type and many do switch between them as needed. :!:
The kings were bought new for our school's, so I wouldn't know how they are supposed to be.
Not all funnels have a bite, but this was when I was posting without a teacher, so please account for that. Ex, Pt-48
For some reason, funnels feel like they have a lot of resistance. That's why I don't use them a lot.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

And yes, I am probably not used to a funnel
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

TheTuba wrote:
The kings were bought new for our school's, so I wouldn't know how they are supposed to be.
Not all funnels have a bite, but this was when I was posting without a teacher, so please account for that. Ex, Pt-48
For some reason, funnels feel like they have a lot of resistance. That's why I don't use them a lot.
IDK whether you are saying the Kings are new now or were bought new some time ago...at any rate, being new
doesn't mean the valves couldn't be out of line.

As to funnel shaped mpcs and bite, IDK, but I'm sure someone here does. Resistance is usually greater with mpcs
with smaller throats or backbores and neither the PT-48 you give as an example or the RT-44 you say you use would
be considered to have either, as they are designed for big BBbs and CCs. Further, I believe you said you were using
the RT-44 with the Miraphone and Perantucci sites specifically call it a funnel shaped mpc cup. So you are already playing
a funnel, I guess. Maybe you could look at the mpc descriptions and clarify... :?: :?: :?:
royjohn
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

If you want a really deep funnel, with a wide (9mm) bore, that would be the James R New C-1, Conn 1 copy. Not super wide, but the inner rim on this is rounded, and the interior profile is kind of bottomless, so it isn't really yet another Helleberg, but more of a logical extension of the concept. No mouthpiece made today sounds less like a trombone. I mention this not for Raghul's benefit, as he should probably stick with his RT44, but for someone who's gone "American" - this might (or might not) be for you. Not that it sounds more like that, so much, as it complements that.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

@royjon
Oops! I meant that the PT-48 was a free blowing mouthpiece. Sorry for not being clear! The kings were bought this years, and I did not like them because on some notes, it just felt stuffy, so I switched to the banged up miraphone,and I felt and most likely sounded better.

I am not right now in the market for a new mouthpiece, but thank you for the suggestions! I really like the RT44, so I don't anticipate switching unless I have a need for a smaller model or a similar sized funnel.right now, I am exploring my sound concept while I don't have my tuba around, and exploring different facets.

@bloke
I'll try to post a link later, but if you will, please go to youtube and type in Joe lefevre performing artist, and click the Yamaha link. That is (granted, what I think) is a American sound. Deep, massive, like a master organ in a monastery in the mountains. Yet not aggressive, just giving presence without being overbearing. Not directional, sound is precieved as being everywhere. I don't like dark and light as terms, though I often use them, to describe sound, but rather examples. That is( what I think) a tuba should sound like. While I sound german(think polka bands) I don't agree with the concept of being a extra large trombone, with a lot of overtones, but reduced foundation. I agree with reduced overtones, but oh my, a foundation you can practically build a house on.
I have one more question
What are some <6000$ horns today ( used or new) that make for a good American horn style?
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

bloke wrote:If someone really does not want a 6/4 size tuba that sounds like an asian copy of a German idea of a huge American tuba, the thing to buy is a damn Martin. They are not much work to play at all, the notes pop right out, and they play pretty darn well in tune. Finally, the sound is unmatched, and even better with a really good player blowing through them.
The ridiculously ugly-shaped (yes: English-made... not American-made) Besson recording bell B-flat compensating tubas from the 1950s and 1960s offer nearly the same type of sound...not quite, but close. The advantage with the Besson is that they are fully chromatic, even better in tune, and capable of more raw decibels.
Do either of them usually sell under 6000?