PT-88 vs. GW Bayamo

The bulk of the musical talk
Philip Jensen
bugler
bugler

Post by Philip Jensen »

The Bayamo is a funnel shape. The diameters are fairly similar but the sharper inner edge makes the Bayamo feel a little bigger. For low and loud, the Bayamo is a clear winner over the PT-88. I had previously found that bowl-shaped mouthpieces generally worked best on my horn so I was a bit skeptical that the Bayamo would work for me. I was very wrong, very wrong.

Those people who are unfortunate enough to sit near me have all commented on how much better I sound. My favorite comment so far was that my sound was just more there.
Miraphone Norwegian Star Eb
King 4V BBb ~1913
Holton 4V Eb 1920
Holton 3V Eb 1930
Philip Jensen
bugler
bugler

Post by Philip Jensen »

The rim is flat with a fairly sharp inner edge. It is also on the thin side width wise. I've never played on a Helleberg but from what I've heard I believe they would be the best comparison rim wise.

Some may complain of the rim's sharpness but I find it helps me to play with less pressure, and increases my endurance. If you like to pull the horn into your face, this is not the nouthpiece for you. If you want some help decreasing your mouthpiece pressure, this mouthpiece will encourage you to do so. I find that less pressure results in cleaner articulation and greater flexibility. When I have problems with either, I can usually trace it back to excesive mouthpiece pressure.
King 4V BBb ~1913
Holton 4V Eb 1920
Holton 3V Eb 1930
Philip Jensen
bugler
bugler

Post by Philip Jensen »

I think this is a case of not judging a book by it's cover.

I'd have to agree with Bill, that, for as flat and sharp as the Bayamo rim looks, it doesn't feel that way when playing. The rim may look like a Conn Helleberg, but as Bill said, apparently it feels very different. Like they say, looks can be deceiving.

I believe the rims of the Bayamo and Williwaw are similar but with different cup diameters.

By a visual comparison, the rim of the PT-88 is more rounded, but I don't find the PT-88 to be more comfortable.
King 4V BBb ~1913
Holton 4V Eb 1920
Holton 3V Eb 1930
Ivan Giddings
pro musician
pro musician

Rim contours

Post by Ivan Giddings »

Hi guys,

The rim on all our mouthpieces have the same design. The inner bite is the same, and the outer radius is the same, with face of the mouthpiece being completely flat.

This rim is designed to facilitate articulation, ease of note centering, maxumum endurance, and overall comfort while playing. The design came about after many years of research and development.

Hope this helps

Ivan
tjs
bugler
bugler

Bayamo on...

Post by tjs »

I recently picked up a Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC and am doing some mouthpiece-hunting. Having heard that these horns are fairly "mouthpiece sensitive", I'm wondering if there's anyone out there played the Bayamo on this particular horn? If so, anything you'd like to share? (better yet, is there anyone in the Boston area who has one and wouldn't mind if I tried it out?)
Tim Sliski

Rudy RMC50
Miraphone Starlight Eb
Yamaha C1