A Lidl from Lee: Thank You Lee Stofer

The bulk of the musical talk
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

A Lidl from Lee: Thank You Lee Stofer

Post by Alex F »

Late this morning, DHL delivered a brand new Josef Lidl LBB-701 BBb Tuba from Lee Stofer Music Service in Atlanta. I have played it four or five times since then and find it hard to put down.

For those of you who don't know, the LBB-701 is a 3/4 size, 4 rotary valve BBb tuba with a 16.5" bell and a .720 bore. It stands 34" high and weighs about 15.5 lbs. It comes with a 24AW mouthpiece and a very nice Jakob Winter case. Josef Lidl is a Czech firm that has been building brass horns since 1892.

I recently started playing the euphonium and this is my first tuba. I found that I could play about everything I can play on the euph (admittedly not much) with ease. the horn is very well built and very ergonomic. In my humble opinion, this is one very well built horn. Lidl markets this as a "student" horn which I believe is a mistake. This horn easily compares with the Miraphone 182, Cerveny 683, and the MW 18. I think this is a big step up from the Weril 3/4 (which is itself a decent horn) and others the same size. Search the TUBENET archives and you will not find a negative comment. As Lee has posted, Michel Moore, the ASO tubist, has played several of these and has used one in quintet work and is very impressed. Lee says this tuba has some F tuba qualities (I haven't got that high yet) while presenting a great low register. For about $3.0k, I am sure Lee will be happy to send one to you.

The best thing about this tuba is that I got it from Lee Stofer. Since the importer is located about 15 miles from my house, Lee gave me the option of having this horn shipped direct with a price break. Well aware of his reputation, I opted to have it shipped to him first and am very thankful I did this. The first horn shipped to him had some minor damage (It really helps not to ship a tuba with the mouthpiece loose in the case). Lee got them to send a new horn. Lee chem-cleaned the horn, lubed it, and worked out a few minor dings that no one but him would ever notice. It took a bit longer than either of us wanted but it was well worth the wait.

For all you folks looking for horns, especially fellow newbies, I believe it is essential that you buy a horn from a reputable dealer who is committed to looking over the horn, setting it up, and shipping it in top condition. It my cost a bit more at first, but that cost is well worth it. Folks like Lee, Matt Walters, Dave Fedderly, and Joe S ("bloke") are worth their weight in goldbrass - we are fortunate to have them.

Gosh . . . sorry this is so long, but I FEEL GOOD - TA DA DA DA DA DA DA.

Alex F
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Alex F »

I think someone already snatched it. The "damage" was very minor and did not affect playability at all. in fact, Lee said that it played very well. Only reason we got a new one was my personal vanity. Vanity, Vanity . . .

You should, however, check with him. I really didn't ask him about it once I knew a new horn was on the way.

Lee's e-mail: tubameister1@juno.com

Alex F.