Doug Elliott Tuba Mouthpieces

The bulk of the musical talk
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

TubaGrandad wrote: ...Doug is/was (has been for about 3 years) re-tooling and coming up with secret new designs. Exactly what he's doing I don't know - can he or someone let on (I'd sure like to know)? Is the 'new' stuff backwards-compatible? ...
I asked Doug about this at the last USABTEC and he said that the new stuff will be interchangeable with his older designs. He was still working on it, so this may change.
Mudman
3 valves
3 valves

Doug Elliott

Post by Mudman »

I have been playing on one of Doug Elliott's bass trombone mouthpieces for several years. Before that, his tenor mouthpieces for the last twelve years.

After trying out his new designs at the 2004 ITF, I was very impressed. There is a marked difference in how much better the new design (same component numbers) plays over my older setup. I purchased a mouthpiece that has helped me refine my playing and makes it easier to lay down a consistent and ringing tone.

I was honestly shocked to find such a difference between the older and newer designs. I spent about an hour trying components, then used one in an ensemble rehearsal before making the purchase. It was as magical as an equipment change can be. There has been no honeymoon effect-I am as sold on the mouthpiece today as I was several months ago.

LB MW 116 rim
LB M cup
M8 shank

Couldn't tell you about the tuba pieces. I do know that Doug makes a great product.