Dallas Wind Symphony

The bulk of the musical talk
Jarrod
bugler
bugler

Post by Jarrod »

Alex Cauthen and Jason Wallace are the current tuba players. I believe/guess/assume Alex works as a freelance tuba player for his main income. Could be wrong.

Jason is a band director in a Dallas suburb, and also plays in the Richardson Symphony, and of course free-lances. The DWS is a part-time gig, with a concert series (3-5 services?) on average of once per month during the season.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

DAY JOB: time used during the day to pay for bad habits done in the dark of night.

The wind symphony plays closer to 12 performances, 7-8 subscription concerts. The rest are run-outs, etc. There are a lot of small ensemble performances by the DWS including, I'm happy to say, an extremely active Euphonium/Tuba Quartet.

Brass Quintet, Dixeland Band, Jazz Band, Clarinet Choir, Percussion Ensemble, Brass Choir, etc. all have a share of performances, too.

The Tuba quartet is playing next weekend at one of the DWS major sponsor's locations. Dallasite's know it as Elliott's Hardware, the branch located at Maple and Motor Street - noon to 2. Admission is free but it's worth every penny you'll spend at Elliott's.

I also have played and continue to play rodeos beyond number at the Mesquite Rodeo (broadcase every week by Fox Sports), and other work around town as it materializes.

Jason Wallace plays with the Richardson Symphony, which is quite a good orchestra, in addition to his teaching. He's a very fine musician. Pray that he doesn't dedicate himself to the audition circuit, he's a monster player.

Rite of Spring for band has it's virtues but I don't want to do it again. Ever.

Thanks for the kind comments and the interest in DWS.

See more at www.DWS.org
Kevin Miller
bugler
bugler

Post by Kevin Miller »

I was lucky enough to sub for Jason Wallace on the Rite of Spring.

Fun to play, hard to read. Every measure was computer numbered and they encroached on all those low ledger lines.
Kevin Miller
Private Teacher/Freelancer
Tulsa Opera Orchestra
Bravo Brass
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

schlepporello wrote:I happen to have their "Holst" CD. Great work and a great listen.
I'll agree there! I really like their interpretation of the Moorside Suite.

The DWS has put out some spectacular CDs--their "Pomp&Pipes" with Paul Riedo tickling the ivory is really worth a purchase.

And if you're looking for a tuba solo work, there's the "Brass and the Band" CD with Richard Frazier playing "Bride of the Waves" with the Chicago Chamber Brass.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Apologies to Kevin Miller.

He did yeoman's work playing the 2nd tuba part in Rite of Spring. Tons of low register playing was required, very aerobic, and he was spectacular.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

I've bought all of my DWS recordings from retail outlets (except the Sousa Marches) but every album is available from the DWS website at:

www.DWS.org

Again, thanks for the interest.
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Dallas Wind Symphony

Post by TubaRay »

Hey!!! I-10 in San Antonio is my part of the world. What were you doing here?
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.