Cheap Eb tubas?

The bulk of the musical talk
Allen
3 valves
3 valves

Cheap Eb tubas?

Post by Allen »

I have recently been investigating Eb tubas. The reasons are that I was hoping they would be cheaper than F tubas, and many years ago I used to play Eb (part of the time). I have been considering getting a small one, as the purpose would be for playing higher parts, agile solos, etc. I already have a fine contrabass tuba for the lower and more powerful stuff.

I would like to ask the esteemed TubeNet members what their experiences have been with Eb horns versus F horns. Is it really possible to save significant money? Or, does one have to pay about the same amount of money for quality regardless of key. All of those less than a thousand dollar tubas sure look tempting.

Allen Walker
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Post by funkcicle »

I played the St. Petersberg Eb (5 rotary valves) at Midwest in 2002 and really liked it. Just to be sure, I stuck around and listened to a handful of other people play it and I only liked the sound more. I don't know what you consider "cheap", but I think the sticker price on this horn is less than 3k. I've only played one other 5v/noncompensating Eb, the Yamaha 4+1 with upright pistons(under $3k used, sometimes under $2k), and personally I liked the St. Pete a lot more, though they're two very different horns.
Shockwave
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Shockwave »

I have a a little old 1918 Besson Class A Eb tuba that plays very well in tune, sounds excellent, is agile, and is practically worthless. I think I paid $120 for it. It has a 14" bell and a .650 bore, but still sounds just a bit darker and more tuba-like than the similar size F tubas I've heard.

-Eric
docpugh
bugler
bugler

Post by docpugh »

I had a Boosey and Hawkes that I played for a while. It was a nice little E-flat tuba. You may find a decent one used.
==============================
Ivan Darrell Pugh, Jr., DO
http://docpugh.mav.net
docpugh@yahoo.com
==============================
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

A lot depends on what you are looking for. Eb tubas seem to be gaining in popularity as opposed to a few years ago. A really nice Eb is going to cost you as much as a comparable quality BBb, CC, F or whatever. Older schools are a good source for Eb tubas but you're probably not going to find anything very sophisticated. Kings, Conns, and Cuesnons are pretty common but finding something with more than three valves at a high school surplus sale is going to be rare.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DonShirer »

I second the suggestion of a Yamaha YBE 321S. Good all-round instrument, but mouthpiece selection affects upper range intonation. Four valve instruments are a little more costly than the cheap 3-valvers you often see on EbBay, but my community band music often calls for the A flat below the staff that you just miss with 3 valves.
Don S.
Dean E
5 valves
5 valves

Cheap Eb tubas?

Post by Dean E »

DonShirer wrote:I second the suggestion of a Yamaha YBE 321S. Good all-round instrument, but mouthpiece selection affects upper range intonation. Four valve instruments are a little more costly than the cheap 3-valvers you often see on EbBay, but my community band music often calls for the A flat below the staff that you just miss with 3 valves.
Don S.
I like to play that Ab below the staff as a privilege note on my 3-valve York Eb.
Dean E
[S]tudy politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy . . . in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry [and] music. . . . John Adams (1780)