Holst Planets tenor tuba part

The bulk of the musical talk
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Holst Planets tenor tuba part

Post by Wyvern »

Does anyone have the tenor tuba part to the Planets written in bass clef?

Please email if you can help.

Thanks.
Chris Smith
bugler
bugler

Post by Chris Smith »

If you wouldn't mind sending it to me as well that would be great.

Thanks
bill
3 valves
3 valves

Holst Tenor Tuba Part

Post by bill »

Do you think this exists? I have played The Planets several times but never seen a bass clef part for tenor tuba.
Always make a good sound; audiences will forget if you miss a note but making a good sound will get you the next job.
CC
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Holst Planets tenor tuba part

Post by CC »

Neptune wrote:Does anyone have the tenor tuba part to the Planets written in bass clef?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Don't worry about it chaps.

All this was about is that I am playing The Planets with an orchestra next week and I don't think there will be a euphonium at some rehearsals. I thought if I could get hold of a bass clef part I might be able to cover some of the tenor tuba part on my M-W 182 F tuba. From its size many people think the 182 is a tenor tuba anyway :wink:

Playing Bb treble clef on an F tuba I think is beyond me!

FWIW I will be playing the bass tuba part using my Neptune CC
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

tuben wrote:He said he read bass clef but used F tuba fingerings!!!! (still adding two flats) :shock: :shock:

Damned if it doesn't work, but it does!!!
That is a useful tip to know! Go along to brass band with CC tuba and be able to cover either Eb, or BBb parts as required :shock: :)
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Indiana Jones meets Monty Python

Post by jeopardymaster »

"He said he read bass clef but used F tuba fingerings!!!! (still adding two flats) Shocked Shocked

Damned if it doesn't work, but it does!!!"

Then on the other side of the amulet, the hieroglyphs read ... "Ooh, me brain HURTS!"
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Neptune wrote:Don't worry about it chaps.

All this was about is that I am playing The Planets with an orchestra next week and I don't think there will be a euphonium at some rehearsals. I thought if I could get hold of a bass clef part I might be able to cover some of the tenor tuba part on my M-W 182 F tuba. From its size many people think the 182 is a tenor tuba anyway :wink:

Playing Bb treble clef on an F tuba I think is beyond me!

FWIW I will be playing the bass tuba part using my Neptune CC
You're reminding me of when I first saw my 182 F tuba (which was the first "real" tuba I bought.) I had it shipped on trial from Dillon's, and it came in a HUGE box. (box and tuba both totally intact, looking like all they had done in transit was sit on a shelf somewhere.) I had to dig around in that box to find the tuba....and then this amazingly small cute lil tuba came out! Woo! It was love at first sight, and I still have that tuba.

The other funny story about that tuba is I was subbing in brass band on th 1st euph part (damn conductor did not tell me we were reading a SOLO piece for euph, but that is a different story) and I took my Meinl Weston Bariton, which is a 4-valve rotary that has a layout just like a rotary tuba. I heard a guy in the tuba section tell another guy that I was playing the 1st euph part on an F tuba. !!!! It was pretty funny.

MA
miketuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by miketuba »

Hi all,

I just posted a bass clef tenor tuba part for the Planets on the Boulder Brass web site. Go to:

http://www.boulderbrass.org

Click on 'Tuba Parts' and you will see a listing of available free downloads.

Cheers,
Last edited by miketuba on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Allen
Boulder Brass
Boulder Brass Publications
Chris Smith
bugler
bugler

Post by Chris Smith »

Thank you very much this will come in handy!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

miketuba wrote:Hi all,

I just posted a bass clef tenor tuba part for the Planets on the Boulder Brass web site. Go to:

http://www.boulderbrass.org

Click on 'Tuba Parts' and you will see a listing of available free downloads.

Cheers,
Thanks a lot Mike. Unfortunately too late for me to use this time, but will download for the future.

The tenor tuba part in the end was (well) played by one of the horn players on a borrowed euphonium from a local brass band. I think he enjoyed his time on the 'right' side - hoping Mahler 7 will be programmed next year!!!
miketuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by miketuba »

I just published to the webpage the aforementioned tuba parts:

http://www.boulderbrass.org/boulder-bra ... uba-parts/

While you're there - check out my blog posts on arranging for brass.

Cheers - Mike Allen
Michael Allen
Boulder Brass
Boulder Brass Publications
Mark

Re:

Post by Mark »

Wyvern wrote: I think he enjoyed his time on the 'right' side - hoping Mahler 7 will be programmed next year!!!
A few years ago I went to a Seattle Symphony concert where they played Mars. When I looked at the low brass there were only three trombones and a tuba (Chris Olka). When it came time for the tenor tuba solo, it came out loud and clear and sounded terrific. I scanned the orchestra and realized the principal horn, Jeff Fair, was playing it on a tenor horn.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

There is one out there floating around. Be patient, it'll show up.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Holst Tenor Tuba Part

Post by Alex C »

bill wrote:Do you think this exists? I have played The Planets several times but never seen a bass clef part for tenor tuba.
Actually, the Torchinsky orchestral part books contain (or the first edition contained) a bass clef transcription of the tenor tuba part. There is another publisher (maybe Gordon Cherry?) who has most of the tenor tuba parts and a bass clef transcription included. Very handy in the Ring, there's nothing like switching transpositions in the middle of a page.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.