Interchangable Leadpipes

The bulk of the musical talk
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Interchangable Leadpipes

Post by Dan Schultz »

tubashaman wrote:I see these all the time on horn descriptions in the For Sale Pictures and online

Interchangable Leadpipes

Do you normally have to take it to a shop to get it done, or does it just screw or twist out or something
Aside from convertible marching tubas (which I don't think is what you are talking about)..... It's very common to have interchangable leadpipes (venturis) for trombones, I've only seen it mentioned for tubas a few times and then only on high-end horns and on custom applications.
Last edited by Dan Schultz on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Post by WakinAZ »

This ad shows an interchangeable leadpipe setup on a Mira 181: viewtopic.php?t=26750 Looks like self-service. It seems the alternate leadpipe is usually a narrower taper to add some color or response difference to the horn? (I am reminded of the Baer tweaks to some existing models here) This feature seems to be not that uncommon on some of the higher end European horns - the Neptune is offered with 2 leadpipes.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

If the mounting/clamping features were integrated in the original designs, they possibly would be cheaper than when added after the market.

Besson had two Eb Sovereign models, 981 & 982, which acoustically only differed in the expansion profile of the leadpipe. The 981 also lacked the carrying rings of the 982.

If one single “unifiedâ€
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

My Neptune has two interchangeable leadpipes. They are fairly easy for me to change. Just thumb unscrew at the mouthpiece, on the bell and where the leadpipe connects into the valves. The pipe connects through a sleeve rather like a short slide. I can change one leadpipe to the other in under five minutes (as long as I don't drop a screw!).

The difference between the two leadpipes is in bore. One is marked M and the other L - obviously medium and large. They each give a different response and tone to suit the player and usage. The M gives the tuba more color and presence - I prefer for use in the orchestra. The L gives a broader more foundation sound - ideal for bass in a band.

So the interchangeable leadpipes provide two different playing characteristics in one tuba - I think a good idea!
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

I can see where there would be times to switch leadpipes. Maybe not regularly, but in some specific situations it just might make sense.

I didn't get an interchangable option on my F, but some of them did at the time. As mentioned, it's a screw. Easy to change.

Necessary? Most likely not, but maybe...just maybe...most likely, I'd think, due to illness or injury, but maybe for a different mouthpiece for different timbre?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

On my Neptune after a short while I settled on the M leadpipe which stayed on until a friend visited with his Neptune fitted with the L leadpipe for comparison. However after a couple weeks I decided I preferred my original choice and went back to the M which I have used ever since.

Another advantage with this system is being able to remove the leadpipe for thorough cleaning with snake without risk of pushing muck into the rotary valves. Mainly for that reason I had interchangeable leadpipes on my handmade M-W 2040/5 Eb. I believe Meinl-Weston will fit such to any handmade tubas made to order (for additional cost of course).
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

A year or so ago a guy who sat in community band for a few rehersals had a Kalison with a leadpipe that changed out with a series of allen head set screw brackets.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
iattp
bugler
bugler

Post by iattp »

Hi, I realize this post is old, but are any thoughts to an interchangeable leadpipe on a big BBb Cerveny Helicon?
Červeny Bb helicon - Brandon
Ultratone P-R - Blatmobile
Eb tuba - Commander Riker
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

I believe Elephant is planning on interchangeable pipes in his Duelling 186 restorations. Will be interesting to see how he set this up.
Free to tuba: good home