5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

bloke wrote:reliability
courtesy
excellence
versatility
availability
renown

I suppose one could get an education on their own time.
That pretty much sums it up.
sean chisham
kontrabass
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabass »

An excellent list, to which I might add: perserverence.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

These days the competiotion to play in an orchestra that would allow one to purchase a home is so steep it can be dangerous to be a tuba player if you ever want to make some real money. I like to encourage players to branch out from the orhcestral repitore and play jazz and rock. And of course Mexican banda music is quite popular with the tuba these days if you are looking for a recording career.
David Zerkel
pro musician
pro musician

Post by David Zerkel »

bloke wrote:reliability
courtesy
excellence
versatility
availability
renown
This is a great list, Joe!!

I would also add that success comes before work only in the dictionary. While Charlie's advice of 6 to 8 hours a day seems a little steep, I'd suggest two hours a day, everyday, will do the trick.

Again, listen to the grumpy old sage...his advice here is dead on!
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

Trying to figure out the relevance of the "80k or better" qualifier...

How many tuba gigs pay 80k or better anyway? Is 80k a measure of "success"?

edit: If it is, I'm a failure :)
tmmcas1
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tmmcas1 »

I've always found that anyone who's a nice person who places in time, in tune and with a good sound makes a succefull tubist. Now if your talking about 80k jobs to deem yourself successfull, there are none (IMHO). 99.9% of guys that I know who have 80k jobs are not surprisiingly nice people, play in time, play in tune and have great sounds. My two cents..

Tom McCaslin
tubathig
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubathig »

Adam C. wrote:Trying to figure out the relevance of the "80k or better" qualifier...

How many tuba gigs pay 80k or better anyway? Is 80k a measure of "success"?

edit: If it is, I'm a failure :)
Well if this is the Adam Crowe that I know from Alabama, you are far from a failure. You still doing the coast guard gig???

With love and band director chops -- Thigpen
winston
pro musician
pro musician

Post by winston »

Last edited by winston on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston Hind
The Naden Band of the Royal Canadian Navy
joebob
bugler
bugler

If you want to make money

Post by joebob »

If you want to make a lot of money then do something else for a living and be a tuba player on the side. The best tuba players in the world make 100k-150k a year, but that's not a lot of money when you think that if you were one of the world's top Doctors, Lawyers, Businesspersons, or just about any other profession, you'd be making a heck of a lot more.

Success as a tuba player cannot be defined by money. Was Alan Baer not a successful tuba player until he got a job that paid more than 80k (the New York Phil)? I don't think so.
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Post by bigboymusic »

What has helped me tremendously over the years is the big word from bloke. VERSATILITY! I try and teach my kids that you can be an orchestral tubist, or you can be a tuba player. i prefer the tuba player 99% of the time. Know the difference between Chicago Dixie and N.O. Dixie as well as Dvorak and Brahms. Also don't forget the biggie.

Being at the right place at the right time! I was at the U of A in Tucson when there were really just three of us to handle all the big playing. It was not ASU or Indiana, but I played a LOT of literature WITH the ensembles rather than in the studio to my instructor.

Oh yeah, shmooze like a big dog.... :mrgreen:

Paul 'practice, patience, and who you know has helped me' Weissenborn
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Being a successful tubist

Post by TubaRay »

I agree with your comments, Paul. To be a tuba player allows one to have a better shot at making a little money. In my case, I work as a school band director and play as much as my job will let me. I have been somewhat selective of the jobs I have taken. It is important that I not take a job which demands ABSOLUTELY ALL of my life, time, and energy. In addition to this, I have made money playing the following types of gigs: brass quintet, tuba euphonium quartet, polka band, orchestra, etc. In fact, I rarely rule something out. Versatility and reliability are quite important.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

Tommy Johnson once told me that he thinks he may be the most successful tuba player in the world. I believe it. All of those first call double and triple scale gigs for so many years. And the royalty checks that just keep rolling in.

But don't forget. Tommy himself taught Jr. high school here in Los Angeles for twenty years before he could make enough money in the studios to do it full time. All the while he was principal tubist in the 20th Century Fox orchestra.

But of course when it comes to studio playing there are only two tubists in Hollywood who make their living doing it. And now with all of the great samples that we composers can use, and smaller and smaller budgets for music, even Tommy and Jim Self don't get nearly as much work as they used to.