San Fran Symph /Mahler 5 review & question

The bulk of the musical talk
JayW
4 valves
4 valves

San Fran Symph /Mahler 5 review & question

Post by JayW »

Well I just walked in the door from seeing/hearing the SF Symph play Mahler 5. WOW... what a wonderful performance, especially by the horns and low brass. Jeff Anderson was awesome, great sound, musical , etc..etc..etc... I can't say enough to truly show what i thought of his performance.

I do have an observation/question that i would like to hear other peoples opinions on however. I love NJPAC ...but the place was not even close to being sold out. Now I am sure that NJPAC is not the only venue that does NOT sell out when a performance of this caliber arrives. And my question is, Why? Also, even more noticeable was the lack of "people under 40" with NO offense meant to those of you who are up there. I myself an only 25, just finished college and I love going to see as many performances as I can. I would think that in the metro area, with all of the colleges and other musicians that something like Mahler 5 would bring out a huge crowd. I wonder if (for the younger crowd) the lack of information/marketing done at their schools/by their teachers is to blame. NJPAC as most other venues offers terrific student dicounts ($10 tix i believe). Anyone care to comment? Sorry for the length, it was just all on my mind and I thought this would be a good place to start a conversation of this type.
Jay
proud new owner of a kick arse Eastman 632
Photographer
Dog Lover
Hiker